Rape allegations spark campuswide dialogue

Rape allegations spark campuswide dialogue: The Sigma Chi fraternity house, located at 221 Langdon St., is allegedly the site of a rape that took place last October. The fraternity has voluntarily put itself on social probation.

Allegations of a rape at the Sigma Chi fraternity house dominated the thoughts of students, faculty and staff across campus Wednesday when the alleged victim decided to come forward and share her story. 

The victim, who chose to remain anonymous, told The Badger Herald she was raped five months ago at the Sigma Chi fraternity house. 

Dean of Students Lori Berquam said in a statement that although sexual assault remains a constant issue on the UW-Madison campus, she hopes more victims find the strength to come forward in light of recent attention to this case. 

""Survivors of sexual assaults often spend the rest of their lives trying to come to terms with the horrendous violence committed against them,"" she said. ""Let me state very clearly, physical and sexual assault of any kind is [and] will not be tolerated at this institution."" 

According to the 2008-'09 Campus Safety Guide, there were 42 sexual assaults reported on campus in 2007.  

Carmen Hotvedt, student services coordinator at University Health Services, said sexual assault is often an underreported crime and that sexual-assault victims often find it difficult to tell someone their story because they are afraid of how that person will react. 

""We don't live in a culture where disclosing being victimized that way has a good social consequence … It's a victim-blaming culture at large,"" she said. 

According to Kelly Anderson, executive director of the Rape Crisis Center of Dane County, it is easy for victims to feel overwhelmed when deciding whether to report the incident.  

Cpt. Mary Schauf of the Madison Police Department said she likes to think there is hope for all rape cases to be solved, but acknowledged the reality is that some cases are easier to solve than others.  

A freshman student in the Greek community, who was advised by the president of her sorority to remain anonymous, said this incident gives a bad reputation to Greek life on campus.  

""It's really unfortunate, because I feel like any group of guys could have done this,"" she said. 

However, Anderson said there is a reason fraternities and other groups of men target first-year female students to invite to their parties.  

""They're not just doing that because they're generous souls who want to share the partying experience,"" she said.  

—Erin Banco contributed to this article