UW shows support for budget plan’s domestic-partner benefits

UW-Madison released a statement Monday revealing its support for domestic-partner benefits in Gov. Jim Doyle's 2009-'11 biennial budget. 

Doyle's budget includes a provision that would give health insurance to domestic partners of state employees. It would also grant domestic partners hospital-visitation rights and the right to inherit property from each other. 

According to a statement, UW-Madison is the only Big Ten school that does not offer domestic-partner benefits. 

""We are heartened by the governor's reintroduction of domestic-partner benefits in this budget proposal,"" Chancellor Biddy Martin said in the statement. ""The ability to offer these benefits will allow us to improve our competitiveness for faculty and staff.""  

Doyle has introduced domestic partner-benefits in past budget cycles, but those provisions were eventually removed by the state Legislature. 

According to Mark Supanich, co-president of the Teaching Assistants' Association, members of the organization are ""thrilled"" to have the benefits included in the budget cycle again.  

""We're definitely hopeful and anticipating that it would be [passed]. We know that nothing is ever guaranteed,"" he said. ""We're hopeful that the Legislature does the right thing and keeps it in there."" 

According to UW-Madison officials, the university will support the inclusion of domestic-partner benefits by creating a briefing paper for the community and by conducting meetings with legislators.  

UW System student groups are in the process of planning a ""Day of Action"" on Library Mall March 25 to lobby individuals in the Legislature. 

Steve Stern, vice provost for faculty and staff services, said in a statement if members of the campus want to voice their opinions on the proposed budget, they should contact legislators using non-university resources.