Leave the canned soup to Campbell's

Despite rising temperatures that feel like a heat wave when compared to double-digit below-zero afternoons, winter is still chilling to the bone. When deli sandwiches, cold pizza and cereal don't seem to defrost your core, turn to the mother of comfort foods: soup. Soup provides instant meal gratification, warming you up from the inside.  

The idea of soup has transcended among generations from all over the world. But all soups from all cultures serve as a variation on a theme. Nutritious, filling, simple to create and serve, soup has always been the perfect for traveling and stationary cultures, whether rich or poor, healthy or ill. 

But modern science soups from a tin can or microwaveable bowl often taste bland and contain unwanted calories, fat and especially sodium.  

Don't cheat and head for the pantry when homemade bisques, chowders and stews are easy to make - regardless of culinary skill. Homemade soup has the potential for loads of flavor. Here are a few familiar varieties to help you make it to spring. 

Many soup recipes begin with the same simple base. In a stock pot or dutch oven, melt two tablespoons of butter or oil and toss in one chopped onion. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent. 

Chicken Noodle Soup 

Begin with the onion base. Chop two carrots into one-and-a-half-inch chunks, and two ribs of celery lengthwise and into small pieces. Cook for another three minutes, tossing in two tablespoons of kosher salt, a tablespoon of ground pepper and a teaspoon each of dried thyme, oregano and rosemary.  

Add five cups of chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Next, add about five cups of shredded chicken. Roasted chicken remains tender and juicy in this soup, but doing it at home can be time consuming. Utilize the local grocery store or deli and buy one pre-cooked to save time.  

Allow the soup to simmer for about 25-30 minutes and, just before serving, add a bag of wide egg noodles. These cook quickly and absorb the broth. Add salt and pepper to taste. 

Butternut Squash Soup 

Begin with the onion base. Peel two small or medium butternut squash using a vegetable peeler, then cut them lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and place the squash cutside down on a baking sheet.  

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until tender. Cut the squash into large chunks, stir into the pot and add a half cup of chicken stock, two cups of heavy cream and 2 cups of milk.  

Working in batches, pour the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Return to the pot and allow it to simmer for another 10-15 minutes, adding salt, pepper, cumin and nutmeg to taste. 

Roasted Tomato Bisque 

Cut three large tomatoes in half. Place them on a baking sheet, cut-side down and drizzle with olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper. Roast the tomatoes in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.  

While they are in the oven, make the onion base, add two chopped cloves of garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Then add in two cans of diced tomatoes, seasoning the mixture with kosher salt, pepper and dried thyme. Pour in a half cup of chicken or vegetable broth, 2 cups of cream and 2 cups of milk. Once the tomatoes are roasted, stir into the base mixture.  

Working in batches, pour the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Return to the pot and allow it to simmer for another 10-15 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste.