Badgers split with Tigers

After a sweep of Alaska-Anchorage, a series against No. 11 Colorado College offered Wisconsin the chance for several big wins entering the WCHA's second half of the season. The final result, however, was one step forward and one step back. 

The Badgers split their series with the Tigers over the weekend, missing out on a chance to rise to first place in the WCHA. Friday saw a balanced scoring effort blow open a close contest in the third period, while CC took the second matchup 4-3.  

Wisconsin struck early in the first game when junior forward John Mitchell took a Tiger turnover and deposited it in the net after a series of shifty moves. Colorado College answered later in the period with a power-play goal to knot the game up.  

UW senior forward Tom Gorowsky knocked in a close shot early in the second, and then the tone of the game shifted. Rough play came from both sides as seven penalties were assessed, many for infractions like elbowing, roughing and cross-checking. 

It was a big-time college game, highly contested at a physical level,"" Wisconsin head coach Mike Eaves said. ""It was nice to see our team play, be challenged, play through that and respond maturely."" 

Near the end of the second period, however, the Badgers began to assert control. UW junior forward Aaron Bendickson put back a rebound near the end of the period, and Wisconsin went on to score three goals in the final 20 minutes to wrap up the 6-1 win.  

Five different Badgers scored on the night, something Eaves said highlighted his squad's offensive diversity.  

""That's part of the whole identity that we have,"" Eaves said. ""We don't have that first line. We've got a group of guys up front that can play well with and without the puck."" 

The Badgers also drove Colorado College sophomore goaltender Richard Bachman from the game early in the third period after the fourth goal. Bachman entered the series ranked second in the conference in goals-against average and first in save percentage.  

The next evening, however, the Kohl Center played host to a game that was simply, as Eaves put it, ""bizarre."" 

To open, Wisconsin scored on its first two shots and did not miss a shot on goal until 16 minutes into the game.  

Twice, Wisconsin sophomore defenseman Cody Goloubef fired from the point, and twice those shots ended up in the net.  

As the first-period horn blared, tempers rose and a scuffle broke out, resulting in 11 penalties. Mitchell, who is tied for the team lead for goals, was relegated to the penalty box for 16 minutes and was charged with inciting the màªlée. 

Colorado College could not take advantage of the initial power play after the fight, but exploded for three goals in just over two minutes to take a 3-2 lead early in the period. Less than a minute later, Wisconsin showed it would not go quietly when junior forward Andy Bohmbach fed junior center Blake Geoffrion in front of the net to tie the game. 

Although the Badgers managed to put the puck on net 13 times in the series' final 20 minutes, Colorado College junior forward Brian McMillin made the biggest play of the evening. The Minnesota native, who was elevated from the third to first line before Saturday's game, sent a rebound past senior Wisconsin goaltender Shane Connelly for the game-winning score.  

""It was a weird game both ways, but I think we're a bit disappointed,"" Goloubef said after the game. ""I think we just gave them two points there.""