ASM sets date for student vote on constitution

UW-Madison students will have the opportunity to vote on a new Associated Students of Madison constitution Feb. 17-18, pending approval by the ASM Student Judiciary.  

The Constitutional Committee and Student Election Committee previously worked together to set a date.  

Constitutional Committee chair Jeffrey Wright said they originally set two dates for financial reasons, but he would try to secure a third.  

Students have organized multiple get-out-the-vote efforts. The SEC plans to assign ASM representatives to oversee get-out-the-vote efforts in specific sections of campus.  

The ASM Outreach Committee is also working on educating students about the constitution and encouraging them to vote. According to Wright, these efforts use ASM funds to operate, but do not encourage a yes"" vote on the constitution. 

Students for ASM Reform, an organization made up of members of student organizations and ASM members, will be encouraging a ""yes"" vote but will not use ASM funds.  

According to Wright, there are no designated leaders of the organization, but meetings are held weekly and collectively. The organization will focus on off-campus voters.  

""It's a target population often missed,"" Student Services Finance Committee chair Kurt Gosselin said.  

Wright said Students for ASM Reform is working to build endorsements and will go door to door to encourage students to vote for the constitution.  

""On the days of [the vote], we're going to be foot soldiers off campus, turning out the vote,"" Wright said.  

The group will also encourage ""yes"" votes on campus. Gosselin said ASM is not allowed to do so in the residence halls because of housing non-partisan campaigning rules.  

At the ASM meeting, Wright encouraged members to educate students about the constitution.  

""The vast majority of students certainly have not read the constitution,"" he said. ""Reach out to your constituents. That's your duty, and this is easily the most important thing that we're going to be doing this year."" 

ASM members continue to work on bylaws for the constitution, and Wright said they plan to bring those that are completed to the Student Council at their next meeting.  

Academic Affairs Chair Chris Tiernan said at the meeting this year's ASM Book Swap saved students over $10,000. According to Tiernan, students turned in 626 books, and over half of them were sold at 70 percent of the price at which the University Book Store would have sold them.  

Former ASM Chief Justice Sol Grosskopf was elected Campus Safety Initiative Coordinator by a vote of 11-0-7 at Wednesday's meeting.