Work not over for Democrats

As the semester comes to a close, we would like to take a moment to reflect on the successes, failures and lessons learned from the past few months while looking ahead to next semester's activism. The College Democrats started the semester with a watch party for Obama's acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention in Denver, and we will bring it full circle as we turn our attention to President-elect Obama's policy positions. 

On Nov. 4, 2008, our country and campus made history. Although Election Day was exhilarating, it was the result of hard work and careful organizing. Throughout September and October, the College Democrats and Students for Obama registered thousands of voters, knocked on thousands of doors and made thousands of phone calls for Obama's campaign and other local races. We organized lit drops and visibility rounds, and we hosted issues nights for students to come and discuss the pressing issues of our generation. 

On Election Day, the College Democrats and Students for Obama were on Library Mall from 5 a.m. until well after the Wisconsin polls closed at 8:00 p.m. Students canvassed every campus ward and made sure every student had voting information. UW students helped re-elect Rep. Tammy Baldwin and passed a referendum for Madison schools. Students on campuses across the state helped put Democrats back in control of the state Assembly. After watching President-elect Obama's acceptance speech later that night, we joined the thousands of students who spontaneously took to the streets of Madison in utter jubilation. 

Although much of what we did this fall yielded positive results and we celebrate our victories, Democrats and progressive Americans were not wholly successful in Wisconsin or across the country. The College Democrats canvassed for state Assembly candidate Trish O'Neil, who lost by a mere handful of votes, and we made phone calls for U.S. Senate candidate Jim Martin from Georgia, who was defeated in a run-off election on Dec. 2. California voters supported a ban on same-sex marriage with the passing of Proposition 8, which provides a stark reminder that young people's fight for equal rights is far from over. 

The setbacks will serve as firm reminders of the amount of work ahead and the commitment and energy we need to embark on a new era in American politics. The College Democrats will take the energy of the 2008 campaign into the next semester as we turn our focus to spring elections. 

On Tuesday, April 7, 2009, voters in Madison will return to the polls to decide on a state Supreme Court justice, city council seats and a county executive. The campaigns will not feature catchy slogans or chants, but the issues at stake are probably more important because local policy affects UW students more than federal policy.  

In the next few years the state Supreme Court will be making important rulings on LGBT rights, and our local leaders will be responsible for keeping our campus safe. The College Democrats will focus our efforts on turning students out to vote, and we will remind voters how local elections affect students' daily lives. Let's show the campus and the state that students will stay involved in politics after the election of a 'rock star' candidate. We'll see you in January! 

Claire Rydell is chair of the College Democrats of Madison. 

Andrew Voss is vice chair of the College Democrats of Madison.