Hello 'Yellow Brick Road'

oz: Chris Kind and his merry band of Oz-goers bring the much-loved tale, The Wizard of Oz,"" to life on the Overture Center stage this weekend. Why should you go see it? Because, because, because, because, because!

Hello 'Yellow Brick Road'

The story we all fell in love with as children, Wizard of Oz,"" is flying over the rainbow and coming to Madison's Overture Center this Friday through Sunday, Dec. 14. 

The play is based on the 1939 MGM classic film, but, according to Chris Kind, who plays the heart-centered and emotional Tin Man, the story has been changed a bit to show the audience something new.  

""There were some things that were cut from the movie that we added back in... So when people come see the show, it's not going to be a carbon copy of the MGM movie,"" Kind said. 

Kind said the production's biggest challenge was bringing the magic and glamour of Oz, particularly Emerald City, to life on stage. That's where set and costume designer Tim McQuillen-Wright came in, creating visually stunning backdrops and costumes based on the elegance and glamour of art deco Hollywood.  

Kind describes Emerald City as the play's most visually stunning setting.  

""We have a giant reflected Oz door - they call it the MGM gate since it is actually a recreation of the MGM studios gate with an Oz flair to it. The chorus comes on-stage in these brightly colored emerald costumes with these amazing backdrops. The lights are constantly moving - it's pretty impressive,"" Kind said. 

Where this production truly excels, however, is in the special effects. Kind said the breathtaking special effects will sweep audiences away, making them believe they are following Dorothy to the Land of Oz themselves. 

""It's a very rare scene where something doesn't burst into flames or start smoking. There's a lot of pyro in this production and I can't believe the special effects guy doesn't fall over from stress with the amount of things he has to have burst into flames,"" Kind joked. 

Kind went on to describe the splendor of the story's famous cyclone. 

""The way the tornado is set up - the back going one way, the front going the other - you get this real sense of a cyclone and the house is in the middle and spins out with stuff flying across the back. The first time I saw it, my jaw dropped."" 

Kind is very excited to be a part of the production and says everyone, from children to grown adults, will love the show. 

""It's rare that you find a story that is so universally loved ... if we put our effort into it, [audiences are] going to love the performances,"" Kind said.  

With its amazing scenery and beloved characters, ""The Wizard of Oz"" is sure to captivate the entire family as they travel down the Yellow Brick Road and experience the magic of Oz with Dorothy, Scarecrow, Cowardly Lion and of course, Kind's Tin Man.