ASM committee closer to finalizing 2nd draft

The Associated Students of Madison Constitutional Committee met twice during the last week to discuss areas of concern with the second draft of a new student government constitution.  

At a meeting last Tuesday, the committee debated the powers of the executive branch in ASM. Under the second draft, a president appoints directors, justices, finance committee positions and appropriation committee positions allotted to the executive. If the draft is passed, the president of ASM would appoint the Student Election Commission chair and vice chair for the first time.  

As written in the draft, two members of the senate would be required to witness candidate interviews, and two-thirds of the senate would be needed to approve an appointment. Members of the Constitutional Committee said they are concerned the executive power regarding appointment is too great.  

The failure case that we need to be more aware of is a malicious president,"" said Erik Paulson, an at-large member of the Constitutional Committee. 

A proposal for lessening the executive role in appointment-making was to move to a ""3-3"" system in which three senators and three executive members witness interviews and have equal voting power. However, some members thought this system would undercut executive power too greatly. 

Ben Carter, member of the Constitutional Committee, said he worried the system would slow down appointments. He recognized giving the executive branch greater power in appointment can bring risk, but said it could allow the government to be more productive. 

ASM Student Services Finance Committee Chair Kurt Gosselin said he viewed the appointment power as central to the executive branch and suggested ASM get rid of the whole branch if they greatly lessened the executive power of appointment.  

In an attempt to compromise, members discussed possibilities of having different appointment processes for varying positions, but were unable to come to a consensus by the end of the meeting. 

According to Constitutional Committee Chair Jeff Wright, students in feedback sessions said they were worried about ASM members becoming under-involved because the constitution does not require them to participate in grassroots committees.  

Constitutional Committee members stood by the new draft's senate requirements. They conceded many senators may choose not to participate in grassroots committees, but said senators have new duties under the constitution, which will require a greater time commitment than the current regulations recommend.  

The second draft of the constitution is posted at the Constitutional Committee's blog at asmconstitution.wordpress.com. Students can send feedback to the blog or to jawright2@wisc.edu.  

The group met Sunday to continue the discussion. 

The final draft of the constitution will be released Dec. 1 and will be on the ASM Student Council agenda Dec. 3 for a vote.