Red Raiders, Crimson Tide flying towards National Champsionship

Michael Crabtree: Michael Crabtree may be the best in the nation

The hype surrounding college football is always at an all-time high at the beginning of the season. Preseason rankings come in and experts are quick to pick their favorites for BCS Bowls and the National Championship. In the end, it all is meaningless until the season is actually played. After all, that's what the excitement is really all about. 

This season has been nothing short of spectacular, as we've seen powerhouses fall in upsets and primetime games that did not disappoint. With about three weeks remaining in the regular season, Alabama and Texas Tech are the only two unbeaten programs remaining - unlikely candidates to the say the least. 

Perhaps the best thing about college football is its complete parity and unpredictability as the season continues. In the preseason rankings, Alabama was ranked No. 24 in the AP Top 25, while failing to receive a ranking in the USA Today Poll. Texas Tech was ranked No. 12 and No. 14 in the AP Top 25 and USA Today Poll, respectively. 11 weeks later, both teams have their sights set on the ultimate goal in college football: an appearance in the BCS National Championship Game.  

But as spirits are high on both campuses at this moment, they can be shot down just as easily when the next week approaches. Although both teams should be extremely proud of their accomplishments whether they stay undefeated or not, the surprising performance of Red Raider football has been particularly exciting to watch. 

Texas Tech's sophomore Michael Crabtree has once again established himself as one of the premiere wide receivers in the nation. After a freshman year in which he amassed 134 receptions for 1,962 yards and 22 touchdowns, Crabtree was awarded the Fred Biletnikoff Award, a distinction given to the best wide receiver in the country. He promises to be a top candidate for the award once again this year, already accumulating over 1,000 yards receiving and 18 touchdowns to date.  

But it's not just Crabtree's stats that have been so impressive. Watch a Texas Tech game and you'll see Crabtree's clutch performances firsthand. Every team knows it's coming, yet Crabtree performs time and time again, dominating whoever he's matched up against.  

Crabtree is also immensely fortunate to be paired with one of the nation's best quarterbacks, senior Graham Harrell, one of the top candidate for this year's Heisman Trophy. Harrell's stats were staggering last year,throwing for 5,705 yards, 48 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. This season, Harrell has been outstanding once again, throwing for more than 4,000 yards to go along with 36 touchdowns. 

Throughout his senior season, Harrell has also been a much smarter quarterback, throwing just five interceptions in 463 attempts. Harrell has thrown for more than 250 yards in every game, while surpassing more than 400 yards in five of the Red Raiders' contests. 

As expected, Texas Tech's tremendous offensive scheme has raised plenty of questions about whether the Red Raiders are really a complete team. In reality, their defense has significantly improved. The Red Raiders have responded to their critics about the team's inability to contain their opponents. Just last weekend, Texas Tech challenged a high-powered Oklahoma State offense that is also among the best in the nation, averaging almost 43 points a game. The Red Raider defense held Oklahoma State to just 20 points. 

Texas Tech has been overshadowed throughout the year by other Big 12 teams because of historically rich programs like Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. But if Texas Tech is able to defeat Oklahoma next weekend, they will likely defy all the odds and establish themselves as a high-caliber program that can pose a threat to teams of this elevated status. The Red Raiders are a great story about a team that has vastly improved while entertaining college football fans around the country.  

On the other side, Alabama has made a serious comeback as well, but the Crimson Tide already possess a rich football tradition that towers over Texas Tech's accomplishments. Under legendary coach Paul Bear"" Bryant, the Alabama Crimson Tide contended for a National Championship practically every season. It's only appropriate for Texas Tech, a team with less glamour and fewer opportunities, to make a name for themselves in the record books. 

Alabama will always have its long-standing tradition and decades of dominance during the Bear Bryant era to its credit. On the other hand, for the Red Raiders, the recent success has been building and their time for dominance is just starting. 

Think someone else besides Texas Tech and Alabama is in the mix for the title? E-mail Matt at mfox2@wisc.edu.