Downtown development plans move forward at public forum

The Madison Department of Planning, Community and Economic Development invited the Madison community to the Overture Center Wednesday night to discuss future development plans for the downtown area. 

The meeting, part of a series, presented community members with various possible development strategies and invited them to discuss their vision for their city's future with each other and city officials. 

Topics included plans for developing entertainment and cultural districts, residential areas, traffic, parks and recreation. 

Archie Nicoletti, of City Planning, said with all the excitement around development, it is also important to keep preservation in mind. 

We want to make sure we keep [downtown] as a cultural, entertainment destination for people,"" he said. ""But we really want to make sure that we don't do anything to jeopardize all the wonderful things that we have."" 

Nicoletti presented residents with plans for developing the city's recreation areas by increasing downtown green space and improving existing parks. 

He suggested redeveloping parts of the Mifflin neighborhood for parks, as well as developing unused locations along the shores of Lakes Mendota and Monona. A possible multi-use outdoor recreation facility was also proposed for Olin-Turville Park, off John Nolen Drive. 

""That's one concept that creates both a park and a place to go,"" he said. 

Resident David Woodward suggested developing a marina for boaters in the Madison area. 

""I've never been able to figure out why a city with so much water has no marina,"" he said. ""If you're trying to increase downtown primary residents, boats are a natural."" 

Rebecca Cnare of the Madison Mayor's Office, discussed possible plans for a Madison rail system, something that has been suggested in the past. 

""It may not happen next year, it may not happen in 10 years, but probably something like it will happen eventually,"" she said. 

Cnare outlined a plan to place three rail stops in the downtown area, but did not say when the city plans to develop them.