Oglesby earns respect on O-line

Oglesby: Wisconsin redshirt freshman Josh Oglesby filled the role of injured sophomore left tackle Gabe Carimi in the Badgers' game against No. 12 Ohio State. He will start his first game against No. 6 Penn State Saturday.

Oglesby earns respect on O-line

At 6'7\, 328 pounds, redshirt freshman Josh Oglesby looks like a Wisconsin offensive lineman. With its shortest starting member at 6'4"" - sophomore center John Moffitt - UW's offensive line is notorious for its size. 

While Oglesby stepped in for a few plays each game this season, the Milwaukee native got the most playing time against No. 12 Ohio State Saturday. After sophomore left tackle Gabe Carimi took a game-ending blow to his right knee early in the second quarter, it was Oglesby's turn. 

Adding to the pressure of taking over for a starter, the Badgers were trailing Ohio State 7-0 with the ball on their own 11-yard line. Senior quarterback Allan Evridge now counted on Oglesby for protection while UW's running backs needed blocks against one of the best defenses in the country. 

""Calm down. Calm down. We've never seen someone's eyes so big,"" Oglesby said characterizing his teammates' reaction to his entry into the game. 

""I'm not going to lie, I was pretty nervous when I stepped out there on the field. It's a lot different than practicing. And then stepping out there in front of 80,000 people and you got a bunch of guys screaming at you and running at you."" 

With Oglesby at the helm of left tackle, the Badgers had their most successful drive of the game - a 91-yard touchdown drive that took 8 minutes, 16 seconds off the clock. 

Although the Badgers lost 20-17, Bielema was pleased with how Oglesby performed. 

""When Josh first popped in there, you know, there was, I'm sure, some hesitant breaths on the offensive staff,"" Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema said. ""Oglesby went in there and probably played as good a football game as I've seen him play since I've been a head coach here at Wisconsin."" 

While lauding his good performance, Bielema pointed out that the freshman has plenty left to learn and improve on. 

""You saw him really grow as a football player,"" Bielema said. ""Josh is a great kid, and he's got a lot of personality, but he's still a little bit on the immature side in certain areas."" 

Bielema also reflected on Oglesby's early months at Wisconsin, when he was trying to figure out what position he would play. 

""I envisioned Josh Oglesby as a Badger, and I figured he was going to play offensive line, much to his chagrin,"" Bielema said. ""He wanted to try tailback, fullback and tight end, but he is an offensive lineman. 

""Anybody that has been to practice for the first time, they all talk about the size of our offensive line. And then, you have the guy standing in back, with his helmet off, that's bigger than all of them."" 

It remains uncertain whether Carimi will be healthy enough to start Saturday's game against Penn State. Bielema said he was evaluated Tuesday afternoon and that earlier assessments looked good. 

There's still a very good chance that Oglesby will start his first game as a Badger under the night lights at Camp Randall Saturday against No. 6 Penn State. Oglesby says he is a lot more confident about Big Ten play after last weekend's game, and is not scared of the Nittany Lions. 

""I don't think you can be scared going in because when you're scared that's when you make mistakes and that's when you get hurt,"" Oglesby said. ""So I just take it as, 'they're here, I'm here, we both must both do something pretty well to be here, so let's strap it up and see what happens.'