Football heads to MSU

Dustin Sherer: Junior quarterback Dustin Sherer will try to earn his second career victory Saturday at Michigan State.

Football heads to MSU

After restoring order at Camp Randall by ending a four-game losing streak last week, the Badgers are looking to carry their momentum to No. 21 Michigan State Saturday. 

We really had our backs against the wall last week, and we still do this week,"" said sophomore strong safety Jay Valai, who was recognized as UW's defensive player of the week for getting five tackles and successfully reading the passing game against Illinois. 

Michigan State (4-1 Big Ten, 7-2 overall) boasts a potent offense with senior running back Javon Ringer, who averages 4.6 yards per carry and has scored 16 touchdowns this season.  

Against Michigan last week, Ringer scored two touchdowns and moved the ball 194 yards on the ground. Known for being a speedy, powerful back that runs low to the ground, Ringer will be difficult for the Badger defense to take down. 

""I think he's a beast,"" Valai said. ""He's 5'9"", 200 pounds, so it's a good look in the mirror."" 

Spartan quarterback Brian Hoyer showcased his passing strength against the Wolverines last week, throwing for 282 yards and three touchdowns. 

Scoring an average of 28 points per game, Wisconsin will likely have to put a good amount of points on the scoreboard to defeat Michigan State.  

The Spartans got crushed 45-7 by Ohio State two weeks ago, but bounced back to beat the rival Wolverines 35-21. 

After struggling to pass the ball and score touchdowns, junior quarterback Dustin Sherer got the UW offense back on track against Illinois, throwing for two touchdowns and even running one in by himself in his second game as starter. Sherer said he's getting more comfortable in the starting position and knew he could play better than his poor performance against Iowa would indicate. 

Sophomore wide receiver David Gilreath emerged as the playmaker last week, catching two touchdowns and utilizing his speed to gain yardage. 

Sherer will be missing one of his favorite receivers, senior tight end Travis Beckum, who is out for the rest of the season after fracturing his left tibia during the Illinois game. A top prospect for the NFL draft, Beckum ranks third in UW history in receptions and receiving yards. 

But the Badgers have two solid tight ends in junior Garrett Graham and sophomore Lance Kendricks, head coach Bret Bielema said. Graham caught six passes against Illinois, getting three in a row during the Badgers' crucial fourth-quarter touchdown drive. 

""I thought two weeks ago when Travis and Garrett played together at Iowa, that might have been as complete of dual tight ends playing in all phases of the game."" 

Wisconsin's running game has taken a back seat to passing, since junior running back P.J. Hill saw limited action last week as he was rebounding from a foot injury. Freshman John Clay rushed for 93 yards against Illinois, and Bielema said he plans on using all three backs Saturday, although Clay is listed as the starter on UW's depth chart. 

Holding Illinois, one of the Big Ten's top ranked offenses, to a season-low 17 points, the Badgers will likely need a similar performance from the defense to top the Spartans. Turnovers were key to a Badger victory, but the defense also didn't let big plays slip away, tackled better, shut out the running game and put big pressure on the quarterback. 

""We're back to playing aggressive defense,"" Valai said. ""Last weekend we came out fighting and swinging for the fences. Hopefully we do that this weekend, too.""