Sunday, June 16, 2024

Stem Cell Summit Recap

A sense of cautious optimism filled the air Tuesday as the fourth annual World Stem Cell Summit drew to a close in Madison's Alliant Energy Center. 

After two days of doctors, patients, advocates, company representatives and lawyers giving talks and hosting panels, almost everyone came away with a renewed sense of wonder at the promise stem cells hold for humanity. But they were also reminded of the obstacles left in the way of fulfilling that promise. 

Some of this potential includes finding treatments for currently untreatable diseases like diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, Lou Gehrig's disease, Parkinson's disease and multiple sclerosis. 

Since certain stem cells allow scientists to grow new versions of human cells that don't normally reproduce, the curative potential of stem-cell research is virtually limitless. Unfortunately it's not without problems, like the controversial loss of a viable embryo necessary for some of the most promising research, an outcome some see as equivalent to murder. 

This two-sided look toward the future of stem-cell research figured prominently in the final keynote presentation of the summit, given by Alta Charo, a UW-Madison law school professor and co-chair of the National Academies National Research Council/Institute of Medicine Human Embryo Research Advocacy Committee. 

In Charo's talk, titled The History and Future of Stem Cells: Legal, Regulatory and Ethical Issues,"" she spoke of the past, present and future obstacles standing in the way of stem cells' possibilities. 

""For 35 years [stem-cell policies have] focused almost obsessively on the moral health of the embryo,"" she said. ""Let's get over it! Because that's only the beginning of the ethical and regulatory challenges that face scientists hoping to develop stem-cell technologies."" 

In addition to funding difficulties - which have created a ""patchwork"" of regulations with no national or international order - Charo said more problems still lurk for the future of stem-cell research. 

First, after the breakthrough discoveries comes the work of transitioning those concepts from the lab to clinical trials with the approval of the Food and Drug Administration. While this is ultimately for the benefit and safety of all involved, the FDA's procedures and guidelines are notoriously difficult to adhere to. 

Years later, once human testing begins, the demand for this experimental treatment by people with untreatable diseases will be huge. People dying from an incurable disease will do almost anything to be involved in these experimental procedures, according to Charo. 

""Accommodating this demand will be quite challenging, but we'll have to,"" she said. 

Finally, once those problems are solved and the fruits of stem-cell research hit the market in the form of cures or treatments, the difficulty quickly becomes accessibility. The initial treatments will likely be expensive, causing a ""recipe for social unrest"" among the insurance companies and their customers as they debate over who has to pay. 

As if the abortion/embryo debate weren't enough to contend with, Charo said, we get to look forward to becoming embroiled in the health-insurance/health-care question. 

""The real debate is just beginning,"" she said. 

Still, despite the numerous problems facing stem-cell research, even Charo remained optimistic about its ultimate success, calling the results ""21st century medicine, the best thing since sliced bread and sunshine."" Never in her speech did she doubt that scientists would overcome their problems, or that the science itself would fall short. 

""The climate for stem-cell research is changing for the better,"" said Bernard Siegel, summit co-chair and executive director of the Genetics Policy Institute. ""I'm optimistic, but there's a tremendous amount of work to do."" 

Part of that work, he said, is educating the public and encouraging collaboration among researchers, two goals of the summit. 

""The summit was an enormous success,"" Siegel said, referring to the almost 900 people who attended from all over the world. 

""I couldn't be more delighted,"" Siegel said. ""There's lots left to do, but meetings like this make it happen.""