Obama: Making History

DENVER - Democratic Presidential Candidate Barack Obama accepted the nomination for president at Invesco Field Thursday, becoming the first black man to secure the candidacy. 

Obama praised his former competitor for the nomination, U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., for the historic work she completed during her campaign. Clinton's release of her delegates at the convention Wednesday helped put an early end to the voting process in which Obama clinched the nomination. 

In his speech he defined his plan for presidency if elected. He spoke of the need for creating a country based on hard work and determination. 

Obama said Democrats measure progress differently than the Republicans. 

We measure progress by how many people get jobs that can pay the mortgage,"" he said. 

Obama attacked John McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential candidate, for his repeated decision to support President George Bush 90 percent of the time.  

""We love this country too much to make the next four years look like the last eight,"" Obama said. ""We cannot make the 21st century work with a 20th century bureaucracy."" 

The presidential hopeful offered a clear view for what he will do to change the downfall of affordable health care and the war in Iraq. He said now is the time to finally keep the promise of affordable health care for every American and now is the time to set a plan for a troop pullout. 

Throughout his speech, Obama addressed the American promise. He said we need to keep it alive and defined it as the opportunity for every American to pursue their dreams. 

Obama confirmed the election is about the people of America. ""This election has never been about me, it is about you,"" he said.  

His speech fell on the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s ""I Have a Dream"" speech in Washington, D.C. 

State Sen. Lena Taylor, D-Milwaukee, the only black woman currently in the Wisconsin Senate, said she is ""absolutely"" proud Obama is the first black presidential nominee. 

""When you think about all of the historical things that are coming together to make this moment, it's almost eerie, but yet exciting and prophetic,"" Taylor said. ""I believe that this will rekindle, re-inspire the American dream that you can.