Biden: Veteran know-how

DENVER - U.S. Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., shared his support of Democratic Presidential Nominee Barack Obama and accepted the vice presidential nomination at the 2008 Democratic National Convention Wednesday evening. 

Let me say it as simply as I can - yes, yes I accept your nomination to run with Barack Obama, the next President of the United States of America,"" Biden said. 

Delaware Attorney General Captain Beau Biden introduced his father with an emotional recount of his childhood. He spoke of his father's ability to stick by him during difficult times as a child.  

He told the audience his father used to stutter as a child, but it does not affect his ability to speak his mind today.  

""Now he speaks with a clear and strong voice,"" Beau Biden said. ""He says what needs to be said, and does what needs to be done."" 

Joe Biden said he is a close friend of John McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential candidate, but does not agree with the direction he wants to take this country. The potential vice president said McCain is ""more of the same."" 

""I profoundly disagree with the direction John wants to take this country, from Afghanistan to Iraq, from Amtrak to veterans,"" he said.  

In his speech, Biden emphasized how Obama aims to transform the suffering economy if elected president in November.  

""He will cut taxes for 95 percent of the American people who draw a paycheck. He will make alternative energy a national priority,"" he said. ""That's the change we need."" 

On foreign affairs, Biden said McCain is wrong and Obama is right, and spoke of the Russia's August bombings of Georgia. 

""Barack and I will hold Russia accountable and will help the people of Georgia rebuild,"" Biden said of the ticket's actions if Obama is elected. 

Biden tried to ease the fear of many Americans by reminding them of the United States' former reputation and the need for change. 

""Remember when the world used to trust us, when they looked to us for leadership? With Barack Obama as our president, they'll look at us again, they'll trust us again, and we'll be able to lead again,"" he said.