Regents approve Cornell University provost's hire for UW chancellor

Biddy Martin:

The UW System Board of Regents officially approved Carolyn Biddy"" Martin as the next UW-Madison chancellor at a meeting June 5. 

Martin plans to take over John Wiley's position Sept. 1 with an annual salary of $437,000, a deduction from her current salary as provost of Cornell University. 

One quarter of Martin's salary will be endorsed through private financial resources.  

The UW Foundation and the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation established the John D. Wiley Chancellor's Chair Endowment to fund a piece of Martin's and future UW-Madison chancellors' salaries.  

Martin expressed her excitement toward her position as a leader at a large university.  

""Universities have never played a more essential role than they do at this moment in our history, given rapid economic and social changes, transformations in the flow of information and the effects of a global knowledge economy,"" Martin said in a statement.  

""I look forward to the opportunity to work with Wisconsin citizens and their representatives to ensure that their families benefit from the preparation and the innovation that UW-Madison provides for this changing world."" 

""I am eager to begin our work. I look forward to learning from the university's many internal and external constituencies and to applying my energy and experience to the task of enhancing an already outstanding university and contributing to a proud, forward-looking and beautiful state."" 

Stay tuned to dailycardinal.com for more updates and interviews with the incoming chancellor.