Saturday, June 01, 2024
Zaugg leads UW to another title game

Jinelle Zaugg Women's Hockey: Jinelle Zaugg and her Badger teammates did not win a third-straight national title, but the loss in the championship game did not blemish a stellar season for the senior from Eagle River, Wis. She tied for the team lead with 43 points.

Zaugg leads UW to another title game

In a season of transition, senior forward and assistant captain Jinelle Zaugg was a key part of the Wisconsin women's hockey team's success in 2007-'08. She set numerous school records on the way to the team's third consecutive appearance in the NCAA Tournament championship game. 

With the loss of the best player in the program's history, Sara Bauer, head coach Mark Johnson needed Zaugg to become even more central in the offense.  

The Eagle River, Wis., native obliged by spending the season doing what she does best: putting the puck in the net. She was second in the conference both in goals scored and powerplay goals and tied for the team lead with 43 points. 

On the ice, Zaugg could often be found near the net, using her long reach to sneak pucks around goaltenders. Zaugg was a tireless worker during practices as well, taking extra time to work on shooting and usually being the last player to leave the ice. 

Her importance to the team was magnified in the playoffs where she scored eight goals in the Badgers' seven postseason games. Throughout her career, Zaugg had a knack for scoring big goals on the biggest stage. The most notable of these were three goals in two national title games and the game-winning goal in a 4-overtime national quarterfinal game against Harvard last season. 

By the end of the year, Zaugg had played in the most games and scored the most game-winning and powerplay goals in school history. She also broke Meghan Hunter's team record of 84 career goals, pushing the new career mark to 89. 

Recently, Zaugg was invited to the USA Hockey women's residency program in Blaine, Minn. She will join 17 other invitees in December after she graduates. 

Although she will likely be remembered for her records and national titles, Zaugg may have played her best this season, leading a team with only three seniors to the cusp of a third-straight national title.