Wisconsin offers major opportunities for political jobs

Wisconsin's competitive political climate leads to a high demand for political employees, and as classes come to a close, students and graduates interested in politics are encouraged to fill those positions. 

Mark Jefferson, executive director of the Republican Party of Wisconsin, said because the state is typically a swing state in presidential elections and also has tight races at the local level, politicians will have many open positions in their campaigns. 

They're always looking for young people who are talented and work hard,"" Jefferson said. 

According to Claire Rydell, current chair of the UW-Madison College Democrats, campaigns know they can find motivated and interested employees in Wisconsin because of many universities and politically active students. 

The competitiveness of the state's elections results in more student involvement, according to Ami ElShareif, the second vice chair of the UW-Madison College Democrats. 

""I think there is more incentive for students to get involved given the weight of every election here in Wisconsin,"" ElShareif said. 

Oliver Kiefer, former chair of the UW-Madison College Democrats, said the upcoming presidential and legislative elections will result in more political job openings in Wisconsin, and there are many students and graduating seniors that can benefit from this opportunity. 

He said now, just coming into the summer months, is the best time for those who are interested in working in politics to find jobs in the state. 

Kiefer also said the pay for jobs college students typically receive is not high, but that does not mean the jobs are not worthwhile. 

""The main payment you get is from the experience, and I really think that can't be overstated,"" Kiefer said. 

Pasha Sternberg, former chair of UW-Madison's Students for Hillary, said many students and graduates will be looking for jobs in politics, and anyone seeking campaign jobs should work hard to stand out. 

""Just get your name out there and impress people, because the most important thing is to show that you're capable,"" Sternberg said.