THE FINAL FOUR

goodbye_wiley: Current Chancellor John Wiley intends to step down in September and will be succeded by one of the four finalists announced Wednesday. The full UW System Board of Regents is expected to approve the next chancellor by early June.

THE FINAL FOUR

Reilly named four finalists as potential replacements for current Chancellor John Wiley Wednesday, who plans to step down in September. Each said they were honored to be finalists: 

Rebecca Blank 

Rebecca Blank is the former dean of University of Michigan's school of public policy. She now remains a professor of public policy and economics, and is co-director of the school's National Poverty Center. 

Prior to her position at Michigan, she was a faculty member at Northwestern University and was a member of former President Bill Clinton's Council of Economic Advisors from 1997-'99.  

The University of Wisconsin-Madison is a world-class research and educational institution,"" Blank said Wednesday. ""It is a university that has many opportunities.""  

Blank is the only finalist without a connection to UW-Madison. She said she would listen to people ""on the ground"" in order to get a better feeling for the institution, the people and the possibilities. 

""Understanding what the life of faculty and students is like on campus is always really important for people in these sorts of leadership positions,"" Blank said. 

Biddy Martin 

Biddy (Carolyn) Martin has served as provost at Cornell University in New York since July 2000. 

Prior to provost, Martin spent four years as senior associate dean of Cornell's College of Arts and Sciences and has been on the faculty since 1985. 

She received her doctorate in German literature at UW-Madison. 

""I think my love [of UW-Madison] and sense of its extraordinary spirit puts me in a great position to help it continue to flourish,"" Martin said.  

""There are some really interesting challenges and opportunities facing higher education, and Wisconsin is in a great position to contribute."" 

Martin also said UW-Madison is an excellent university in that it combines academic rigor and quality with public commitment. She said her experience with Cornell's similar attributes enhances her credibility as a candidate. 

""[I am] in a position to understand the kinds of issues that students, faculties and staff face in a large, complex institution,"" she said.  

R. Timothy Mulcahy 

R. Timothy Mulcahy has served as vice president for research at the University of Minnesota since February 2005. 

Prior to his Minnesota position, Mulcahy was a member of the UW-Madison faculty since 1985. He has served as associate dean for the biological sciences and was the associate vice chancellor for research policy. 

""I have a long personal and family history affiliation with the UW, so UW is home - number one - but it's also known nationally for its excellence in education, research and outreach,"" he said Wednesday. 

""I hope to build on the great legacy that the UW currently enjoys while finding new strategies to adjust to a rapidly changing environment."" 

Mulcahy promised to be open, accessible, interested and committed to making the student experience at UW-Madison outstanding.  

""If you're going to do a difficult job like the chancellor's job, I don't think there's any better place to do it than the University of Wisconsin-Madison."" 

Gary Sandefur 

Gary Sandefur is the only internal candidate for the chancellor position. He has been apart of the UW-Madison faculty since 1984 and he served as College of Letters and Science dean since August 2004. He has served in many administrative positions at UW-Madison, including director of the American Indian Studies Program. 

""I've been at UW-Madison for 24 years,"" Sandefur said Wednesday. ""I really love this place and I'm really pleased that I have an opportunity to be a finalist."" 

Sandefur said one of his first priorities is to meet people outside the university, including legislatures, business people and civic leaders to build support for the institution. 

He also said he would like to meet with student leaders to talk about student needs and concerns. 

""Throughout my career I have been very committed to and interested in students, enjoyed working with students, and have been recognized for my teaching and work with students,"" Sandefur said. ""I very much am looking forward to being able to do that as chancellor as well."" 

All four candidates will be on campus next week to participate in meetings and receptions with UW-Madison faculty, staff, students and community members.