Uneven rock at the Orpheum

Anyone familiar with the Opheum's high stage knows it can make bands seem godlike, and that was certainly the case Monday night when Okkervil River opened for the New Pornographers. Okkervil River came out swinging with Black,"" starting the night on a powerful note. The sensational hour that followed was filled with beautiful, yet wild music. Will Sheff's resonant voice was only matched by the band's vivid lyrics. Horn blasts, classic slide guitar and good old rock 'n' roll permeated through the antique theater.  

Saying that Okkervil River is talented is an understatement. The band played like it was their last show, seeming like they would explode thought if they did not keep up the energy. When they played a fast song they whipped the whole building into a frenzy and when they played slower songs the crowd fed off the palpable emotion. Everyone on stage was clearly having a good time, especially drummer and former Madisonian Travis Nelson, who between songs was busy making faces at the crowd.  

By the end of the hour-long set, members of the audience wanted more. It is too bad that opening acts cannot do encores. Their set ended, and the band thanked the crowd and played just enough more to give the music the last word. 

After a short wait, the New Pornographers started playing. With Dan Bejar off promoting his solo act, Destroyer, and Neko Case out with a fractured ankle, the Pornographers' set looked a little sparse, but despite absences the band gave a solid power-pop performance. Their catchy and inventive licks are great to dance to. Unfortunately, the Pornographers played after the formidable Okkervil River, a hard act to follow and a completely different flavor of music. 

Okkervil River's folk rock with alt-country and indie twists contrasted with the New Pornographers, who play indie power-pop aged in an old-school country barrel. They didn't exactly clash, but it was a weird order. Okkervil River is more intense than the happy and poppy New Pornographers. It was like going down Niagara Falls then trying your luck on smaller waterfalls - a sad, backwards energy drain.  

Separately, they would have been two wonderful concerts, but the combination, although epic on the surface, failed to create a perfect night. The bands played songs from all over their repertoires. The New Pornographers played at least half of their album _Electric Version and hits like ""Mass Romantic"" and ""Sing Me Spanish Techno."" Both bands pulled off wonderful covers: Okkervil River nailed the Beach Boys' ""Sloop John B,"" and the New Pornographers started their encore with a rousing rendition of E.L.O.'s ""Don't Bring Me Down."" Despite the great things from both bands, the order of the lineup hurt the energy. The New Pornographers are older and more established, but if a band is going to finish a night, they should be either intimate or energetic, and the New Pornographers were neither. The intensity gap between the two bands was perfectly highlighted when Will Sheff came on to the New Pornographers' stage to perform Dan Bejar's part in ""Myriad Harbour,"" bringing up the wildness fourfold. Maybe Okkervil River are just better showmen, but regardless, they certainly stole the show Monday night.