Research links smoking ban to drunk driving

Smoking bans might inadvertently cause increased amounts of drunk driving accidents, according to a Wednesday report from two Wisconsin researchers. 

The study, published in an upcoming edition of the Journal of Public Economics, said smokers who drive longer distances to smoke in bars without smoking bans farther away are statistically more likely to get in accidents.  

Chad Cotti, one of the co-authors of the study and now a clinical assistant professor of economics at the University of South Carolina, said he was not expecting the findings. 

At first it was quite startling,"" Cotti said, ""the next question is 'why is this happening?'"" 

Cotti said one of the likely reasons is drinking is often associated with smoking and vice versa. When smoking is eliminated, people who like to do both search out places where smoking is available, according to Cotti. 

He said non-smokers could also be affected, as people might drive longer distances to go to bars in a city without a ban. Stricter drunk driving policies, according to Cotti, would offset the increase in accidents. 

Cotti said the paper was not an indictment of smoking bans, but showed policies sometimes have unintended consequences. He said the paper could be used to justify not passing bans, or it could be used to justify a universal ban so people would not be driving to other bars. 

Maureen Busalacchi, executive director of Smoke Free Wisconsin, said she was skeptical of the study. She said she questioned the funding and methodology it used. 

""I don't know how in the world they would determine that there could be a million other variables,"" Busalacchi said. 

The issue might likely be more about bar owners serving patrons too much or more enforcement being necessary, according to Busalacchi.  

Pete Madland, executive director of the Tavern League of Wisconsin, said he has heard testimony on a smoking ban's effects that are similar to the results in the study. Busalacchi said she doubted accounts by the TLW because they did not have evidence for the claims.  

Madland said it was true that higher percentages of bar patrons smoke than the general population. He also said states having passed bans typically see increases in people drinking in their homes instead of bars. 

Smoking bans recently passed in Eau Claire and Marshfield, Wis.