Report finds public transit key to curb global warming in state

More public transportation would save the state millions of dollars and significantly reduce global warming gases, according to a Wednesday report. 

The report, sponsored by the Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group, said more investment is needed in public transportation to decrease dependency on oil. 

Over 1.2 million gallons of oil and $3 million were saved each year in Madison and Milwaukee from the use of public transportation, according to the report. Pollution related to global warming was reduced by 26 million tons in the United States because of similar transit systems, the report said. 

Bruce Speight, WISPIRG spokesperson, said there has been an increasing number of residents using public transportation in recent years. He said the rising cost of gas makes it more economical to not drive a car. 

Despite recent state financial troubles like the budget shortfall, according to Speight, more funding for public transportation is needed. 

For every dollar invested in [public] transit, consumers save two dollars,"" Speight said. ""There is a huge economic bang for your buck."" 

Galen McKinley, UW-Madison assistant professor of atmospheric and oceanic sciences, said increased public transportation would decrease global warming significantly.  

She said states generate the most global warming gases from producing electricity and energy but the second largest source of emissions is transportation. 

""If you have a light rail system that can transport 100 people at much greater efficiency than each of those hundred people driving a car and sitting it traffic, there are definitely [environmental] gains,"" McKinley said. 

Large-scale public transportation plans were largely stalled in recent years, including a proposal to create a commuter rail line in southeast Wisconsin. The rail line would connect Kenosha, Racine and Milwaukee. 

Assembly Assistant Minority Leader Jon Richards, D-Milwaukee, said in a statement the report shows the KRM rail line is needed. 

""Wisconsinites need better transportation choices and need to get KRM commuter rail off the drawing board and into action,"" Richards said.