Eaves rushed to hospital after being triple-dog-dared to lick ice by players

eaves:

Following Sunday's overtime loss to North Dakota in the Midwest Regional Finals, Wisconsin head coach Mike Eaves' tongue became stuck on the ice after he attempted to thank the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee for giving his sub-.500 team a second life by licking the NCAA logo on the Kohl Center ice. 

Eaves' young, immature team (17 underclassmen) suggested the coach should perform the act after the game if they lost in order to lighten the mood. Eaves followed his 2005-'06 national championship team's motto of facing the challenge"" and dove onto the ice and licked the NCAA emblem to complete the dare. 

This led to an interesting scene, as both the Fighting Sioux and the Badgers jumped up in celebration when North Dakota junior forward Andrew Kozek's shot went in the net in the extra session. 

""We really didn't belong in this tournament in the first place, and the fact that we had everything handed to us, playing at home and all, we figured this would be an appropriate way to thank the NCAA if we lost,"" freshman forward Kyle Turris said as he signed an NHL contract with Phoenix Coyotes head coach Wayne Gretzky. 

Badger men's hockey athletic trainer Andy Hrodey struggled to pry Eaves from the ice in time for his post-game press conference. 

""I'd like to thank the N-Thee-AA for thelecting uth to partithipate in the tournament,"" Eaves struggled to say as blood poured out of his mouth before being taken to the UW Hospital emergency room. 

""We were able to stop the bleeding immediately, and the coach will be fine. I've encouraged him to keep his tongue off of the ice,"" doctor and former dog groomer Harry Dunne said. 

Fighting Sioux players stopped celebrating on the ice and stared in amazement at Eaves. 

""I didn't know what he was doing. I'm glad the Badgers are happy that their coach acts like a 12-year-old, but I'll take the Frozen Four berth,"" Kozek said. 

This was not the first time Eaves acted out of the ordinary for a 51-year-old at the urging of his players in the 2007-'08 campaign. 

On Jan. 11, he took his shoes off and ran a lap around the ice at the University of Denver's Magness Arena after his team scored a rare power-play goal. 

The next day, Eaves disguised himself as WCHA referee Randy Schmidt and officiated a game between the Badgers and the Pioneers. Wisconsin prevailed, 7-2.