Black Keys infuse signature sound with folk, country on latest release

As the Black Keys recently discovered, people sometimes take good things for granted. After making four albums of garage/blues rock that are probably unmatched by any of their peers, the attention span of many listeners wore thin. The fact that the Black Keys did nothing but rock at a high level had actually become a complaint against them. They had set the bar so high for themselves there seemed almost no room left for improvement. Luckily, this band cannot be stopped.  

Instead of abandoning their roots and catering to the impulses of bored listeners, the Black Keys held onto their signature formula, adding the production services of someone who knows a thing or two about innovation: Danger Mouse. Probably best known for his role in Gnarls Barkley, Danger Mouse appears to have coaxed a new sound out of the Keys. Attack & Release, the band's newest album, features an infusion of folk and country sounds not present on any of their prior releases. As always, the Black Keys have created a high quality album.  

All You Ever Wanted"" starts the album on a folky note with heavy reverb as singer/guitarist Dan Auerbach's smooth vocals give the track a hazy, distant tone. In previous releases, any hint of atmosphere was swallowed by Auerbach's huge guitars, but it seems Danger Mouse has helped improved the band in this respect. A number of tracks on the album feature this serene, faraway sound that complements Auerbach's vocals brilliantly.  

Other tracks stick to the Black Keys traditional sound, such as the track ""Strange Times,"" where claps and quick drums precede bruising guitar riffs, reassuring the listener this is still the Black Keys. ""Strange Times"" does a superb job capturing Auerbach's freakish ability to lay down riffs with a catchiness that will keep your foot tapping, though it has a heaviness that can punch through walls.  

Auerbach's vocals are stellar and the music is very interesting throughout the album, providing a much more instrumental variety than usual for the Black Keys. For instance, most of the tracks feature a bassline, which is new for the Black Keys, and the presence of organs gives some tracks a '70s prog feel. Additionally, synthesizers and clever guitar effects provide psychedelic tendencies to other songs. There are even some flutes, banjos and xylophones thrown in for good measure. 

It's nearly impossible to pick a single highlight from this album. There is an abundance of memorable moments and no signs of weakness. Blues purists might not like Attack & Release as much as the Black Key's older records, but those with folk and soul inclinations just might find this album their most enjoyable yet.