Draw on history with CNI

Cardinal View Editorial: Cardinal View Editorial

Draw on history with CNI

Tuesday night, Ald. Eli Judge, District 8, and Jessica Pavlic, student chair of the State-Langdon neighborhood, laid out secession framework before the executive committee of Capitol Neighborhoods Inc. 

The goal of secession, according to State-Langdon representatives, would be to create a campus-wide neighborhood that encourages students participation in residential and city matters.  

According to Pavlic, there is a disconnect between the State-Langdon area and campus at large.  

Tension with CNI underlies this goal, of course, and the oft-tumultuous CNI-student relationship reached a breaking point in January when CNI suggested stricter alcohol policies.  

Langdon-State representatives fear that CNI's suggestions will depreciate student involvement in the district. 

CNI maintains that its proposals do not aim to scapegoat students, but rather target undesirable behavior. Although this may be true, it is undeniable that the Langdon-State area has substantial student nightlife. The implication is that students are the target of CNI's proposals.  

Citing safety, CNI supported the Alcohol Density Plan and has proposed further measures to restrict access to bars, a significant facet of Madison's social scene.  

The latest suggestions to increase bar taxes and fines pushed State-Landgon frustrations over the edge. The Langdon-State district has a transient student population, and it seems that CNI has tuned into the interests of permanent residents and banked on student outrage being ephemeral.  

Granted the decision to secede as presented was not based upon the alcohol-related proposals and decisions of CNI, we cannot deny that alcohol-related proposals have driven student action.  

If the secession is going to succeed in the long run, students must provide precise delineation of grievances with CNI. This is crucial because of the transient nature of the district - background information on CNI contentions will create substance and gives future State-Langdon residents a platform from which to argue for their district's rights. The group must be equally and obviously passionate about issues beyond alcohol. 

We previously said we do not feel this action should be purely driven by alcohol-related concerns, and we maintain that stance. We encourage the new student neighborhood group to dwell not only on preserving the nightly social scene, but also improving the quality of life in areas where students live.