Blake Duffin

Second transcript just another piece of paper

The UW System is attempting revise their process for student transcripts. The new system could very well change what getting a college education"" means.  

While a graduating student currently leaves the UW System with one transcript that depicts his or her completed courses and grades, future students may have two transcripts in the near future.  

The proposed transcript would include information on what the student has developed outside the classroom, highlighting internships, volunteer work and other such involvement opportunities in which the student participated. The transcript would also contain a description of how these experiences benefited the student's education.  

This transcript would be approved by the university and contain more detailed information about a student's non-academic involvement than a resumé, but it is not a necessary step for the UW System to take. While it would be unique to this school system, employers are looking for more from their potential employees than just good grades, a second transcript would not be any more accurate than a resumé in assessing a college graduate's abilities. 

A second transcript serves little purpose, though. It does not depict a student's involvement and personal development beyond simply showing how many different opportunities the student pursued. Adding a pithy explanation as to how a specific experience from a resumé contributed to his or her personal development is something the student can do in person, assuming a possible employer actually does want more information regarding the student.  

If employers want more information regarding a college graduate's community involvement and personal development in college, they will ask. The job applicant should work on perfecting their resumé to avoid clarity problems regarding their extra activities. The second transcript would just supply extraneous biographical data about the college graduate. Further, when it comes to the student providing input for the descriptions of the experiences displayed on this transcript - or lack thereof - inaccuracy would be a major problem.  

On a more basic level, students would understandably exaggerate the importance of their college involvement. While the UW System would have to approve the transcript, there is no doubt that situations will arise where a student would use this transcript to stretch their involvement in a completely unrelated field to their intended career path. In no way is this an improvement over a resumé, where people frequently exaggerate a list of completely unrelated categories to a given situation. 

Furthermore, the second transcript would take attention away from good grades, and such a phenomenon would change what it means to attend a school in the UW System. Getting involved in activities unrelated to academic courses is by all means important when it comes to living college life to the fullest, and in no way should this be overlooked.  

While students who never partake in extra-curricular activities obviously miss-out on opportunities to grow both academically and personally, it need not be highlighted or elaborated upon with a second transcript. 

Further, it would be difficult to decide what experiences qualify as significant enough to be put onto this second transcript. Personal experiences cannot be evaluated the same way as a ""D"" in a 100-level weather and climate course can.  

Additionally, students already know the importance of seeking involvement outside of their regular classes, so an extra transcript is not needed to encourage them. It would be better instead for academic advisors to stress the importance of such involvement with any students they feel are lacking in the motivation department.  

If the UW System truly wishes to address the issue, they should launch a campaign advertising the importance of getting involved rather than simply creating another piece of paper to add to a student's portfolio. The point of a resumé is be as concise as possible so as to assure potential employers that they will not have to read stacks of paper for each applicant. 

Whatever the UW System decides to do, extra-curricular opportunities will always be a key component to having a well-balanced college experience. A second transcript that evaluates a student's qualitative development as a person is not needed, though, and would oversimplify characteristics - already found on a resumé - that make a young graduate desirable to hire.  

Kory Douglass is a freshman majoring in English. Please send responses to opinion@dailycardinal.com.