Take a look beyond the timeless Christmas classics

batman begins: Tired of the same old Christmas favorites? See if 'Batman Returns,' 'Catch Me if You Can' and 'Joyeux NoA?Al' (top to bottom) satisfy your holiday fix.

Though they are unquestioned holiday classics, the legacy of It's a Wonderful Life"" and ""Miracle on 34th Street"" has done more harm to holiday movies than good. While audiences remember the warm, feel-good stories of both, what seems to get lost is each film's realistic backbone. People remember George Bailey seeing the world is better place because he's in it, but few remember the reason he sees it is because he's about to commit suicide. 

My favorite holiday movies are the ones that earn the emotion of their stories honestly, even if that emotion is slightly sad or downbeat. Even if these films are slightly more unorthodox than the gooey, saccharine-sweet holiday fare playing repeatedly on ABC Family Channel, they are the holiday films that never fail to put me in the holiday spirit. 

Where would a list like this be without ""A Christmas Story""? Though it has ""Christmas"" right in the title, no child who has celebrated Hanukkah or Christmas can't relate to time spent begging parents, friends and family for that one idealized gift. In the film, it's a Red Rider BB gun, but it could have just as easily been a Nintendo Wii, Razor scooter or Tickle Me Elmo.  

But what makes ""Story"" special is how well it remembers what being a kid is like, right down to the uncomfortable snow suits we wore. It also remembers how our parents' warnings seemed so overly-cautious - How can anyone possibly shoot their eye out with a BB gun?  

It seems strange that Bob Clark, who directed ""A Christmas Story"" with such a light touch, also directed the original ""Black Christmas,"" a film about a psychopath terrorizing a sorority house over winter break. ""Black"" goes beyond the usual slasher film - it has a sense of humor about the slasher genre, even if it is a dark one. While it's probably not a film you'd watch with the family on Christmas Eve, ""Black Christmas"" will get you in the Christmas spirit if Rudolph and Frosty just don't cut it for you. 

The holiday season always has a distinctive appearance to me, from the lights to candles to trees. In ""Batman Returns,"" this visual style meets the unique vision of Tim Burton, whose work has a look all its own. What results is an amazing combination of some of the darkest story elements - murder, kidnapping, mayoral elections - set during one of the happiest times of year. ""Batman Returns"" makes me imagine a Christmas mass at a large gothic cathedral - there'd be so much joy if only there were a little warmth or festive color to be found. 

Another film with a less-than-merry Christmas tone is Steven Spielberg's ""Catch Me If You Can."" International con man Frank Abagnale Jr. (Leonardo DiCaprio) leads a life of danger and excitement, but because he's on the run from the law, he lives it alone. His one ""friend"" is Carl Hanratty, the FBI agent who is hunting him. Carl and Frank cross paths every Christmas for years, and they become the only regular visitors in each other's lives and the only ""companion"" each other has. ""Catch Me If You Can"" is a heartbreaking reminder of the loneliness that the holidays can bring, and makes us thankful for the people in our lives. 

Implacable enemies also become friends in ""Joyeux Noàl,"" a French film which was nominated for the ""Best Foreign Language Film"" Oscar in 2005. Based on a true story, ""Noàl"" tells the story of how German, French and Scottish World War I soldiers laid down their arms for one day of peace and brotherhood in 1914. While this provides some sweet holiday moments in the film, the consequences for fraternizing with enemy troops are harsh on all sides. ""Noàl"" shows how humanity can shine through in the most inhumane circumstances, even if not everyone shares the willingness for peace on earth and goodwill toward men. 

There are so many fantastic films for Christmas that you can't go wrong with any of the great ones. At least you have a choice - We who celebrate Hanukkah only have Adam Sandler and ""Eight Crazy Nights."" Maybe I'll introduce my family to ""Love Actually"" and ""Christmas Vacation"" this year... 

If you would rather follow Leo around the globe this holiday season, e-mail Brad boron@wisc.edu._