Lil' Jordan: creating his own path

I can't even imagine what it would be like to be the offspring of a national icon such as Michael Jordan. The amount of pressure put on Jeff Jordan, a freshman basketball player for Illinois, must be overwhelming, since many fans expect him to play like his father. 

People assume that Jeff received the best basketball coaching in the nation because the top basketball player in the world raised him. People also assume Jeff will have the same athletic ability as his father. 

This situation reminds me of the movie Love & Basketball,""especially because the main male character had to grow up under the spotlight cast by his father. Quincy's father was a very strong player in the NBA, and Quincy did everything he could to be like him. 

However, Quincy's father never pushed him into playing basketball professionally. In fact, he encouraged Quincy to stay in school to get a solid education. 

Like that fictional story, Michael never pushed his son into playing basketball. Michael just wants his son to find his own means of happiness, and if that is basketball, then he will be supportive. According to an interview with MSNBC, Michael said he will support Jeff in whatever he does, even if it isn't playing basketball. 

Years ago, when Michael graduated from high school, he was heavily recruited from some of the top basketball programs in the United States. Jeff, on the other hand, did not receive this same recruitment. In fact, he is attending the University of Illinois without being on an athletic scholarship. 

As a 6'1"" guard, Jeff has received playing time in five of Illinois' eight games this season. He has also scored a total of three points, all coming from the free throw line. Though he is among the top players for the Fighting Illini, keep in mind, he is only a freshman. 

I watched Jeff play in the Maui Invitational over Thanksgiving break, and he seemed to be very confident on the court. I just wonder how he will handle all of the attention he gets. 

When my little brother was in middle school, I remember his team had to play Jeff's AAU team. I don't remember the outcome of this game; but I do remember the parents of my brother's team expected more out of Michael Jordan's son. 

Most basketball players love attention but not this type of attention. Nobody likes to disappoint fans, yet this is the type of pressure Jeff has had to live with his whole life. 

Many of his opponents will probably attack him on the court harder than normal just so they can say they beat M.J.'s son. 

Some professional athletes have had their children follow successfully in their footsteps.  

For example, Ken Griffey Jr., one of the most popular baseball players in the MLB, became a professional athlete just like his father. 

In fact, in 1989, they were the first father-son duo to play professional baseball at the same time. One year later, they actually played on the same team and hit back-to-back home runs in a game. 

Although the two Jordans will never play together in the NBA, that does not make the father-son recognition any less obvious. 

I thought having my father as a coach was enough pressure and drew enough attention, but being M.J.'s son has got to be more than just a stroll in the park.  

If you agree that too much pressure is put on children based on how successul his/her parents are, e-mail Crystal at crowns@wisc.edu.