Krabbenhoft expands role as a Badger

Krabbenhoft expands role as a Badger: Wisconsin junior guard Joe Krabbenhoft is prepared to embrace a larger role for his team this season.

Krabbenhoft expands role as a Badger

Junior guard Joe Krabbenhoft always knew he had the right skills and waited patiently for the time where he could showcase them as a starter. With his play so far this season, Krabbenhoft has made a statement: His time is now, and he plans to make the most of it. 

Coming into the year I knew that with so many minutes leaving, the opportunity for me to step up and contribute that much more than I have in the past was going to be there,"" Krabbenhoft said. ""I just had to take the challenge head on and improve and get better individually. I've been doing my best and we need to keep improving, but I think so far we've done a pretty good job."" 

In high school, Krabbenhoft received a number of honors for his work ethic. He led Roosevelt High School in Sioux Falls to a third-place finish in the state tournament his senior year, where he finished with 18 points, 12 rebounds and four assists per game on the season. He earned first-team all-state selection, won the Gatorade State Player of the Year Award and graduated from Roosevelt within the school's top three career leaders in points, rebounds and assists. 

The 6'7"" swingman from Sioux Falls, S.D., has always played with a tremendous amount of consistency and he's played in in every game for Wisconsin since suiting up as a freshman for the 2005-'06 season. That year, he was named to the Big Ten All-Freshman team.  

In his sophomore year, Krabbenhoft finished with the Badgers' third-most rebounds and fourth-most assists.  

This year, with the departure of seniors Kammron Taylor and Alando Tucker to graduation, it was clear Krabbenhoft would get his opportunity. Members of Wisconsin's coaching staff are impressed with the improvements Krabbenhoft has made in his game. 

""He just needs to be on the floor,"" assistant coach Gary Close said. ""He just brings so many intangibles in terms of moving without the ball, taking charges, rebounding, defending, passing, and his game has made good, steady progress in every area. I think he's a better offensive player, he's a better defender and he's done a good job of rebounding. He just brings that toughness and intensity that you like to see."" 

Krabbenhoft is off to a great start this season, playing fundamentally sound while filling up the stat sheet. He has started every game and is ranked second on the team in minutes played, rebounds and assists per game.  

Furthermore, he has shot 48 percent from the field and 87 percent from the free throw line, while committing just four turnovers this season. 

While Krabbenhoft had to make several adjustments on offense, he said the biggest change he has needed to make is on the defensive side of the ball. 

""Coach is giving me the opportunity to be out on the perimeter a little bit more this year,"" Krabbenhoft said.  

""I have to work on my feet a lot more in practice,"" Krabbenhoft said. It's pretty tiring, but you see a guy like Mike Flowers working so hard, you can't let up because you see how hard he works."" 

""He's kind of been a teacher for me, teaching me how to guard those quicker guys. I've listened to him and watched him the last couple of years and I've learned a lot."" 

Krabbenhoft is also experiencing a change in his leadership mentality as an upperclassman, and has embraced taking a more active role in this dynamic. 

""It's a real collective team leadership-type of role,"" Krabbenhoft said. ""Juniors such as myself, Marcus Landry and Kevin Gullickson, guys who have been around a while, we've all stepped up this year and provided a leadership role in the locker room, on the court, off the court, stuff like that."" 

""We all try to do it as one whereas last year, Alando [Tucker] did a really good job by himself leading the team. But this year it's a pretty collective leadership role, I'm just glad to be a part of it,"" Krabbenhoft said. 

Close attributes Krabbenhoft's successful leadership to his play on the hard wood. 

""I think he presents leadership the best with just his play,"" Close said. ""The guys appreciate how hard he works, and how important it is to him to play hard and play well, and that's contagious."" 

The Badgers are about a month into their schedule and as the season goes on, the matchups will only become more difficult and more important in determining Wisconsin's future success.  

However, Krabbenhoft will likely give the Badgers a boost by out hustling his opponents and contributing when he is needed most, both on and off the court.