Campus, city officials reflect on safety issue
TurboTap Kris Dressler

Roughly a year after a string of disturbing sexual assaults shocked the downtown area, police, the university and students continue to work toward creating a safer environment for the UW-Madison campus. 

In November, Antonio Pope was found guilty of two counts of sexual assault and kidnapping stemming from attacks that occurred Nov. 29 and Dec. 9, 2006. 

Following the attacks, as paranoia and fear preoccupied students' minds, many began to question just how safe they were on campus. 

The students share our beautiful downtown environment with all sorts of different walks of life,"" said Madison Police Department Lt. Joe Balles. ""There are predators amongst us."" 

The reality of downtown crime became even more apparent in 2007, when 23-year-old Austin Bodahl was fatally shot on State Street May 22. While a jury concluded that Daniel Kelly shot Bodahl in self-defense, the incident sparked debate over downtown security, particularly among the late-night bar scene.  

""We know that Friday and Saturday nights - when there's a lot of alcohol that's going to be consumed and there's a lot of people going to be out downtown - we know that those can be nights when violence can happen,"" Balles said.  

One month later, in the early morning hours of June 23, 22-year-old UW-Whitewater student Kelly Nolan disappeared after a night out at the bars with friends. Police found her body in a ditch near the neighboring Wisconsin towns of Oregon and Dunn nearly two weeks later. 

While Nolan's killer remains at large, her murder will not soon be forgotten. The fall 2007 semester ushered in a new age of heightened campus safety as a result of efforts from police, the university and students alike.  

""Overall safety has been the huge theme this year,"" Balles said. ""We've tried to address that in a bunch of different ways."" 

One of those ways is through the Associated Students of Madison's Neighborhood Watch program. Developed in April 2007, the program uses student volunteers to patrol campus area streets on Friday and Saturday nights, according to ASM Campus Safety Chair Kelly Arendt. 

""Basically we're just serving as a deterrent to crime downtown,"" Arendt said, noting that the initial spring program was so successful that the coverage area and number of volunteers expanded for the fall semester. 

Ald. Eli Judge, District 8, said his constituents have been pleased with the Neighborhood Watch Program. 

""They've had many successful weekends,"" Judge said. 

Judge also attributed the improved safety downtown to an increased police presence and better lighting in pedestrian areas. Additionally, Balles said surveillance cameras placed on State Street have helped patrons feel they are in a more secure environment. 

The collaborative efforts within the downtown community have been vital in improving campus safety. Kevin Helmkamp, Associate Dean of Students, said the university must continue open communication with the campus population to keep students protected.  

""Once students have the best information possible, they can make good decisions on ways to keep themselves safe,"" Helmkamp said.  

While campus safety made huge strides this year, officials said the work is far from over.  

The city recently approved a budget that added 30 new officers to the police force and granted $10,000 to the Rape Crisis Center. Judge said he hopes increased police presence, education and resources will proactively aid the city's safety outlook.  

Helmkamp said the university plans to capitalize on technology to help inform students of campus occurrences regarding safety. Mass e-mails and even text message programs could be used to prevent a campus-wide tragedy like the Virginia Tech massacre in April, Helmkamp said. 

Despite past crime that plagued the perceptions of safety in downtown Madison, many residents and students agree recent changes have been positive and continue to improve.  

""Where we are right now is better than where we were a year ago,"" Helmkamp said.""A year from now I think we'll be better than where were at right now.