Back on track: Badgers defeat Terriers with ease

Maybe the Badgers were just adjusting to their high socks. The UW men's basketball team, decked out in 1941 retro uniforms, overcame a scoreless first four minutes to defeat the Wofford Terriers by a score of 70-43.  

The Badgers got a huge lift from their bench, as sophomore guard Jason Bohannon led all Wisconsin scorers with 14 points, and senior guard Michael Flowers added eight points to go along with four rebounds and four assists.  

After a five-point deficit early in the first half, the Badgers rallied back, due in part to their excellent defense. They held the Terriers to just 27 percent shooting for the game and took a commanding 38-20 lead going into halftime.  

Like many games this season, the Badgers were the bigger, stronger team, as the Terriers' two tallest players were only listed at 6'9'.  

One of Wisconsin's key post contributors was junior forward Marcus Landry, who finished with 11 points and nine rebounds. Head coach Bo Ryan was pleased with Landry's active play in the post.  

He was definitely more active and he's getting better catches,"" Ryan said. ""He's one of several guys that we've been trying to get to understand moving away from the ball and spacing, which is something you're doing with players all the time."" 

The Wofford Terriers struggled all game with Wisconsin's size, committing 27 team fouls. This left the Badgers with plenty of opportunities from the free throw line where they finished 17 for 27. The Terriers also committed 14 turnovers, and Wisconsin capitalized by generating 21 points off the Wofford mistakes. 

The Terriers were at a severe disadvantage with their recent injury problems. Senior guard and last year's top scorer Shane Nichols and junior guard Matt Estep each sat out their fifth consecutive game.  

Terrier head coach Mike Young said this had a major impact on the Wofford's game plan.  

""[Wisconsin's] big and we felt we could screen them,"" Young said. ""But we just don't have the kids right now that will make shots that we'll have in a week. We are short and we suffer a great deal in a game like this because of that."" 

Wisconsin beat Wofford with more of a balanced scoring attack, with six players finishing with eight points or more. This was also the first contest this year where sophomore guard Trevon Hughes did not reach double figures.  

Ryan did not seem concerned with the change in offensive production. 

""We'll take [the scoring] from wherever it comes from,"" Ryan said. ""That's not a problem for me if the ball is shared and the scoring ends up the way it does.  

""If ... you're open and you can post and you can deliver, then guys will get it, and they'll get their opportunities. But we don't care where [the scoring] comes from.""