*Ire Works* exhibits DEP's potential

The appeal of the absurdly chaotic and abrasive nature of The Dillinger Escape Plan might not be easily grasped by the musically squeamish, but the acclaimed band's tremendous following in the underground metal scene speaks for itself. With the release of Calculating Infinity (1999), DEP set the standard for technical hardcore/metal music and immediately solidified their status as titans of experimental and aggressive music.  

Renowned for their technical expertise, mind-twisting timing arrangements and remarkable intensity, the success of the band's last three albums prompted great anticipation for their latest release, Ire Works. This is their most polished and experimental release yet and certainly one of the better releases of 2007. 

Fix Your Face"" starts off like all the other DEP opening tracks: throat searing screams and a pandemonic burst of drum and guitar lunacy, creating an atmosphere of discordant terror that is somehow still wonderful to the metal-trained ears. DEP's guitar work has always been solid, and with the effective use of the double-bass pedal on drums, they rock especially hard on this track. 

Normally pseudo-grindcore bands aren't supposed to write pop songs, but ""Black Bubblegum"" is a pop track that works surprisingly well. Although it seems DEP is attempting to do a Faith No More imitation - and DEP vocalist Greg Puciato is no Mike Patton - the fuzzy electronics and catchy melodies make this an effective, interesting track. Pop is certainly not DEP's strength, but they deserve credit for trying to branch out. 

""Dead As History"" is the album's strongest track and is a blast to listen to. Melancholic pianos and ambient electronics make up an eerie introduction that lead to a verse with bass-heavy electronic drums and other industrial traits before breaking into one of the band's best choruses to date. Puciato's vocals are especially impressive on this song, and DEP's skillful display of electronic elements is extremely surprising. The possibilities for these guys appears limitless. 

Ire Works is not the best DEP release, but it is still very good and certainly a must-listen album for people who like extreme music. Like most Relapse Records releases of late, the production on this album is incredible. There is such an attention to detail on this album that every little sound comes through in effective fashion - you really do hear something new every time you listen. This band will never reach the levels of sonic insanity that it did on Irony Is A Dead Scene - unless they collaborate with Mike Patton again - but their sound on Ire Works is so diverse and expanded that you can't help being impressed, even if it isn't other worldly.