'Night' sinks fangs into vampire clichés

30 days: This hungry-looking fellow just found out about a nearby blood drive. Just look at the excitement in his eyes.

What do you get when you combine Josh Hartnett, Alaska and a month of absolute darkness? The creepiest vampire movie ever, of course. 30 Days of Night"" is the nerve-racking tale of the town of Barrow, Alaska, one of those frigid places where once a year the sun sets and doesn't rise again for 30 days. When a group of vile vampires decides to make Barrow its playground, the citizens of this tiny town must fight to remain alive until the sun returns. 

""30 Days of Night"" is based on a graphic novel, the latest in a popular Hollywood trend that includes hits ""Sin City,"" ""V for Vendetta"" and ""300."" It is little more than a short story with minimal plot and a lot of blood. Its main attraction is in the creative, chilling art of its creators. Steve Niles, one of the authors, worked on the screenplay for the movie and did a great job transferring the story to the screen.  

The art of the graphic novel translates very well into the cinematography of the film. The main colors in both are the blacks and grays of night contrasted with ultra-bright lights. The unnatural glow that emanates from each window and flashlight enhances the creepy effect rather than detracting from it; instead of lamps banishing the darkness, the night seems to encroach on the edges of each ray of light.  

The cinematography isn't the only thing that makes this movie unique. The bad guys, though called vampires by the townspeople, are a very unusual breed of monster. They have black, slanted eyes and wickedly sharp teeth. They are more animalistic than human and a far cry from the seductive vampires of tradition. They make more of a mess, too.  

The movie is almost two hours long, which means the original novel was expanded in order to flesh out the plot. The main difference is a large amount of character development. Each main character is given more history and motive than in the novel. This makes the story more interesting; it also has the double-edged sword effect of making you feel worse when characters die.  

This movie is not for everyone. It is incredibly graphic with a lot more emphasis on violence than plot. The movie may keep you on the edge of your seat, but it can definitely gross you out at the same time. Viewers who don't like to see blood should definitely avoid it.  

Also, if you're looking for an intellectual film, you'll want to pass on this one. ""30 Days of Night"" fulfills its purpose, but it doesn't really have a lot to mentally stimulate the audience. Still, those who enjoy suspenseful horror and don't mind the gore will be impressed by its originality in both style and storyline.