GOP says UW-Doyle e-mail illegal

The Wisconsin College Republicans filed a formal complaint against the UW-Madison Monday, claiming the university violated student privacy rights with an e-mail about a Gov. Jim Doyle press event.  

Members of the WCR claim the university violated the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 in that students' personal information was used to recruit students for a political rally,"" according to the formal complaint.  

The e-mail was sent to 33 UW-Madison students still awaiting financial aid due to the budget impasse. 

""The law states that you can only use [personal information] for a legitimate educational purpose,"" said First Vice Chairman of the Wisconsin College Republicans and UW-Madison senior Micheal Hahn.  

""I have a hard time understanding how asking students to participate in a press conference for obvious political gain fits the educational purpose."" 

State Rep. Stephen Nass, R-Whitewater, said federal law requires student information be kept private, and the university has illegally used the information to ""entice"" students to come to a press conference. 

Nass said he asked the Wisconsin Attorney General to review the possibility of the university violation of FERPA laws. Nass also said he asked the university to cancel the press event. 

""They are using students as political pawns, which has not been done by any other department,"" Nass said. ""This is clearly over the top and quite frankly despicable.""  

According to UW System spokesperson David Giroux, none of the students' educational records have been divulged, exposed or opened in any way, and no one's privacy has been violated. 

""The only use of individual data was in communication to the individuals themselves. In order to violate privacy laws, one must communicate information about that individual to someone else,"" Giroux said.  

The financial aid officers acted appropriately, as they already had access to the student information and communicate regularly with the students, according to Giroux. 

Connie Hutchinson, executive secretary of the Wisconsin Higher ducation Board, said she had been asked by Nass to look into similar past allegations by the university and did not find any evidence of wrongdoing in the current situation.  

""While a lot of Democrats and Republicans are working to find a compromise on the bill, this is spending a lot of time 'chasing shadows' on the issue and it's really unfortunate,"" Hutchinson said.  

""I saw the e-mails and did not think there was anything out of place."" 

No university official or Doyle spokesperson was able to say if the original request to have the students at the press conference originated from the university or the governor's office. 

Doyle's press conference will take place today at 10 a.m. on the front steps of Memorial Union.