Monday, June 17, 2024

UW 'work ethic' attracts record 232 employers to career forum

More than 230 national and international employers will network with UW-Madison students Monday night at the 2007 Fall Career Forum. 

A record number of employers will be at the event, which is hosted at the Kohl Center and co-sponsored by the College of Letters and Science/School of Human Ecology Career Services and the Business Career Center. 

There is a reason why employers come here,"" BCC Director Steve Schroeder said. ""Employers come here because they like the quality of our students.  

Academically, [students] are prepared well and they have a strong work ethic."" 

Teach For America, which will be at Monday's forum, seeks students with strong communication skills and leadership qualities.  

Last year, UW was one of the nation's top 15 sources of Teach For America Corps members, according to TFA recruiter Garrett Bucks. 

""Madison students have the passion to want to do something real and the skills to get it done,"" he said. ""Knowing that our efforts require passionate, committed student leaders with a commitment to social engagement, there really isn't a better match in the entire country."" 

According to Schroeder, the organizations in attendance are offering employment opportunities ranging from internships to full-time positions, nationally and locally.  

""Students will want to bring copies of their resume, they will want to be dressed in business professional attire, and they will want to do some research in terms of the companies who are coming,"" Schroeder said. 

He said resources are available online through BuckyNet, BCC's campus recruiting website that allows students to perform a search by major and preferred job positions to find which companies are best suited for them. 

Students will need their student IDs to enter the Kohl Center, where guides will provide a complete list of companies and available jobs. 

""For students who are exploring what is out there, it is a great place to gather information, have conversations and find out about a wide variety of careers,"" said Leslie Kohlberg, director of Career Services for the College of Letters and Science and the School of Human Ecology. 

She said the forum gives students a place to practice articulating their strengths, skills and academic backgrounds in professional conversations ""when the stakes aren't so high."" 

Kohlberg said being prepared is important for students when making connections with potential employers. 

She recommended students pick their top 10 companies of interest so they can be sure to focus on getting to those companies' tables at the forum. 

According to Kohlberg, it is best not to approach these tables first, as students are just starting to get their ""feet wet,"" or last, when students are worn out or overly accustomed to a ""script"" that they may have naturally developed throughout the day. 

The Career Forum takes place today from 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.