Gilreath the Great: Freshman nabs weekly honor

David Gilreath: Freshman kick returner David Gilreath helped Wisconsin win the field position battle last weekend.

UW freshman punt and kick return specialist David Gilreath received Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week, head coach Bret Bielema announced Monday at his weekly news conference. 

Gilreath totaled 148 return yards Saturday in the No. 9 Badgers' 45-31 win over The Citadel. The New Hope, Minn. native averaged 25 yards on three kick returns and 18.3 yards on four punt returns. Gilreath became the first UW true freshman since Ron Dayne in 1996 to garner conference Player of the Week honors. 

Gilreath may have been one outside cut away from a touchdown on the first punt return of the game. Instead, the freshman tried the inside and was cut down by punter Mark Kaspar at the Bulldogs' 42-yard line for a 34-yard return.  

Probably the most disappointed guy on film on Sunday was David,"" Bielema said. ""He realized if he had made a little bit more of a cut to the outside, he'd have a score there to begin with, but that was his first chance really to get a good run going on the punt return game."" 

Bielema also recognized several other special teams players during the news conference. He cited defensive backs Jay Valai and Ben Strickland, as well as backup punter Paul Standring, for outstanding coverage on punts and kickoffs. 

Standring, a fifth-year senior, started playing on special teams coverage teams last season against Bowling Green. According to Bielema, Standring's contributions Saturday were key to the team's victory. 

""Due to some depth issues, we gave him an opportunity, and he probably was the first man down the field on three of the kicks on Saturday and made two huge plays that caused huge momentum for us in the beginning of the second half,"" Bielema said. 

Bielema named sophomore tailback P.J. Hill the team's Most Valuable Player for his career performance Saturday. Hill tied a school record with five touchdowns, four on the ground and one through the air. He also netted 168 yards on just 25 carries, good for a 6.7 yards per carry average. 

With Hill, freshman running back Zach Brown, and sophomore Lance Smith available for home games, it appears the Badgers have plenty of depth at the tailback position. With that in mind, Bielema didn't rule out the possibility of freshman John Clay redshirting for the season. 

""Yes we thought about it and decided about a week [ago] that that's the option we are trying to pursue,"" Bielema said. ""Unforeseen anything happening with an injury situation, that is the route we are probably going to go."" 

Bielema also pointed to the steady, consistent play of the offensive line as one of the reasons for Hill's resurgence.  

""Through the first three games, there hasn't really been someone that you on Saturday, or on Sunday when you're watching the film, say, 'well, you know, this is a guy that we need to cover up, or we need to get him better, or we need to find another option,'"" Bielema said. 

Bielema didn't recognize a defensive MVP, but did credit the Badgers' safeties, sophomores Shane Carter and Aubrey Pleasant, for playing their best ""overall game."" 

On The Citadel's first offensive series of the second half, Pleasant sped around the left side on a blitz to sack Bulldog quarterback Duran Lawson. On the following play, Carter picked off Lawson, who was clearly trying to make a play under duress. The two plays seemed to swing the momentum in the Badgers' favor, as the Bulldogs registered just minus-3 yards on five plays for the remainder of the quarter. 

""But, you know, the way they communicated on the sidelines, and then, you know, to start the second half with Aubrey's sack on the quarterback, and if you follow our players and really watch and understand body language, the first guy that Aubrey really went to celebrate that sack was Shane Carter,"" Bielema said.  

""They did the little butt of the heads and crossed their arms, and I don't know what it means, but they were obviously very excited about it,"" Bielema joked. 

Starting cornerback Jack Ikegwuonu, who left the game in the first half after suffering an upper thigh injury, is expected to be back at practice Tuesday, Bielema said.