Senior advantage for Donovan

Despite facing criticism in his first two seasons, quarterback John Stocco ended his Badger career as one of the most accomplished signal-callers in Wisconsin football history. The three-year starter stands second on the university's all-time career passing list with 7,227 yards. He also holds the Badger single-season records for touchdown passes with 21 and passing yardage with 2,920.  

Stocco's graduation creates the first true quarterback battle since Brooks Bollinger beat out Scott Kavanaugh early in the 1999 campaign. Vying to replace Stocco will be senior Tyler Donovan and junior transfer Allan Evridge. As the two potential starters compete on the practice field, The Daily Cardinal presents the first of a two-part series as Ryan Reszel sits down with Donovan. 

Daily Cardinal: So how was your spring break?  

Tyler Donovan: It was good. I went down south to Florida—Daytona Beach. It was good to get away for a little bit and get away from all this football stuff—a little R&R. 

DC: Do any surfing down there? 

TD: No, just pretty much laying low on the beach and in the pool, hanging out with friends and family. 

DC: How's the offense doing so far this season? Are you seeing some improvement? 

TD: Yeah, definitely. Slowly but surely we're trying to build an identity as an offense. We're trying to find people to step up in positions that were starters last year. We're trying to fill some voids, but ultimately I think things are coming together really well. It's spring ball, obviously it's early and things might be a little rusty here and there, but that's what practice is all about. 

DC: Assuming you're going to be the starter next year, what's going to be the hardest part of replacing John Stocco? 

TD: Well, he was a great leader. He was a competitor. The biggest thing I got from John was that he competed. That's something that has definitely grown on me, playing behind him. That's one thing that I'm going to take to the grave—being a competitor. 

DC: It seems like you and [senior wide receiver] Luke Swan have developed a pretty good rapport. Would you say he's becoming a safety net for you, kind of like a go-to guy? 

TD: Oh yeah, he's definitely a go-to guy. He's a guy that has established himself in this program not only this year, but last year. He knows how to separate from defenders. He's a possession receiver, a guy that we know we can count on. 

DC: Even in the Iowa game last year, it looked like you guys had the chemistry already. 

TD: We came in the same class. We've been down on scout team together since the beginning, so me and Swannie have a little bit of an identity here. 

DC: Let's say it's 4th and 10. You can throw to any receiver in the history of football. Who are you throwing it to? 

TD: That's tough. I would have to say Chris Chambers of the University of Wisconsin. 

DC: Any particular reason why? 

TD: Because he can jump (laughs). And he's from Wisconsin. He's a great receiver.  

DC: Was there any quarterback that you emulated growing up? 

TD: I always looked up to Steve Young growing up. I always liked the way he played. Right now I'm a Drew Brees fan. I've always followed him through Purdue and now in the NFL.  

DC: What's one area where you look at something Allan [Evridge] does and say, ‘I wish I could do that like he does'? 

TD: [Laughs] I don't know how to answer that question. I like the way he's confident. That's something you need at the position and that's something he definitely has ... Coming into a program like this and knowing how to come in the flow of things—I respect him for that. 

DC: Describe the perfect season for Tyler Donovan. 

TD: I would say [I want to] establish myself as a go-to guy, a guy that can lead the offense play in and play out. We're going to go by that 1-0 philosophy and that's what I went by last year. I didn't get ahead of myself. When I got my number called, I didn't think past Iowa. It was 1-0; win this game. That's all that matters, and that's the mentality I'm going to go by next year. Lead the team, get this win, establish yourself this week and things will go from there. As long as you have that mindset, I think the sky's the limit.  

In Part II, which will be published in Friday's DC, Ryan will sit down with Evridge for a similar Q&A.