City Council passes resolution to clean up elections

After much debate, the Madison City Council adopted a resolution Tuesday night that supports investigation into municipal city elections and establishes a ""Blue Ribbon Committee on Clean Elections"" to issue recommendations about public funding for a clean elections ordinance.  

The resolution aims to create a level playing field for those seeking public office in Madison by laying the groundwork for publicly funded city campaigns. Ald. Austin King, District 8, said he sponsored the resolution because he wants to ensure city officials are making decisions for the right reasons. 

""There's a certain amount of benefit that comes from the comfort of knowing that we'll never have to question the motives of elected officials,"" King said. ""We certainly won't have to question motives when it comes to voting on major financial decisions that come before the common council.""  

However, Kristin Ruesch, a recent UW graduate, said forcing taxpayers to fund campaigns is a violation of free speech.  

""There is no way to prove that public financing is going to reduce corruption,"" Ruesch said. ""I feel like it would be a grave violation of my free speech to fund the campaign of a candidate that I oppose, and I feel like that's what Madison is based on—free speech.""  

Ald. Judy Compton, District 16, voted against the resolution because she said money, regardless of its origin, should not be a factor in city officials' decision-making.  

""You can't legislate integrity ... it doesn't matter who gives you any money,"" Compton said. ""If you have integrity, it doesn't matter who hands you a $5 bill ... no one can make a demand on you that you're not willing to give."" 

Compton also said funding campaigns with taxpayer money does not ensure clean elections. 

""How can we expect taxpayers to pay the ticket for people to be elected, and what's the difference?"" Compton said. ""The only thing it's going to guarantee is that taxpayers will foot the bill.""