TBS discuss new album, life on tour

It's not that big a deal, I didn't get my arm cut off""just a little bit of blood and a bruise""and six stitches""and a visit to the hospital,"" shared Taking Back Sunday bassist Matt Rubano in response to being knocked unconscious by a flying microphone onstage two years ago. In addition to singer Adam Lazarra's dangerous mic-lasso, Rubano is no stranger to unexpected popcorn showers, a.m. water bucket drenchings and Lazarra's notorious Kama Sutra abilities. And apparently the band wants more energy this time around. 

As if taken out straight from a conversation during band practice, Louder Now sums it up for TBS. And if the recent complimentary DVD Part One did not provide love-stricken, teen-spirited fans a real enough portrait, they can witness the band's antics firsthand March 3 at the Rave in Milwaukee. 

""This tour is largely made up of places that, A, we haven't been to in a while or, B, haven't been to ever,"" Rubano said. In fact, no date is set in their hometown of Long Island. The band is bringing recent punk-core breakout Underoath and Armor For Sleep along for the ride, which spans 40 shows in less than two months. And if Rubano had his way, it would be longer. 

""We're not in at the biggest hurry to make another album right now,"" he said. 

Not only is TBS mixing up their tour schedule, but the band will have ""a new list of old songs"" as well. The overhaul is designed to please the band's largely grassroots following and at the same time reach out to a broader fan base. More than anything, Rubano wants TBS to be accessible. Initially, they carried a camera just to goof off, but saw an opportunity to show the makings of an album and an inside perspective of their band. The result was the limited edition CD/DVD, Louder Now: Part One, which is just one way to get to know them. ""It's not uncommon to run into us outside or in town or after the show,"" Rubano said. 

TBS has been equally as busy off the road. Teaming up with the Stop Global Warming Organization and creating a holiday-card charity for cancer presented the softer, more progressive side of the scrappy rockers. 

Other projects and tour pranks aside, Taking Back Sunday take themselves quite seriously, and Rubano believes his latest work is his best. Produced by Eric Valentine (Third Eye Blind, Smash Mouth, Citizen King), Louder Now returns to the traditional gritty, frenetic punk reminiscent of the band's breakout album, Tell All Your Friends. Yet Rubano credits Valentine's unorthodoxy for stimulating the band's creativity: the song ""Divine Intervention"" was recorded on a downtown studio rooftop and all ambient noises, including traffic and sirens, were kept in the master copy. 

If creating an album is work, then touring is all play, and Rubano knows how to have fun. He learned from damn good teachers""the boys of Blink 182. But perhaps now he will be the one unplugging amplifiers and stealing stage equipment from bands onstage, instead of gazing stupidly at an awaiting crowd. 

And this time, he'll duck.