Volunteers offer more than money and time

The Boston University Center on Wealth and Philanthropy recently released a study ranking states in order of charitable giving based on the percentage of income. Wisconsin came in at an embarrassing 40th place. One has only to look as far as the Dane County Salvation Army to see evidence of this lack of charity: This year, the number of families in need of their help is up, yet volunteers are low.  

Charitable giving not only serves the obvious purpose of helping those in desperate need, but it also reflects on the character and quality of Wisconsin citizens. Charity is not hard—it merely follows the golden rule of ""do to others as you would have done to you.""  

One must only imagine what it would be like to be impoverished, perhaps with children to take care of, to understand the necessity of giving. Not giving to worthy causes shows an incredible lack of sympathy.  

However, though Wisconsin as a whole may rank low when it comes to giving, many students here at UW-Madison are passionate in their activism and service for others. As college students, we are in a prime position. We are at the cusp of being at the period in our lives when we, as a generation, will shape the world through our actions and attitudes.  

In just a few years, we will be able to turn Wisconsin into a state where the welfare of others is a priority. Perhaps the number of people in need will diminish.  

Though many UW-Madison students are concerned with serving the needs of those less fortunate than they, even more students are apathetic and inactive.  

To ensure the turnaround in charitable giving in Wisconsin, students at the UW should now begin to make a difference in their community and learn to sympathize with the plight of others. Merely attending, UW-Madison proves that we are lucky enough to have resources and brains, and these are priceless attributes in the fight to improve the lives of others.  

Many UW students may not be involved in charitable or service activities, however, because they believe charity must involve giving lots of money or time, which most college students don't have.  

However, there are countless ways of helping out which take up minimal time but make a big difference. Great causes and movements wouldn't work if everyone tried to be the leader or organizer. Only a few people are necessary to be the catalyst for change, but multitudes of people are needed to bring the change into being, and it is those who give an hour or two of their time who make the biggest difference.  

Students may also be hesitant to partake in service or activism because they have yet to find a cause that ignites their passions. However, there are numerous groups across campus that cover all areas of charitable causes, and they would certainly be grateful for any amount of time or effort a student is able to give.  

The focus of these groups span from Africa to State Street. Action in Sudan, for instance, is concerned with the genocide in Darfur, and Street Pulse is a campus newspaper which benefits and illuminates the conditions of the homeless on State Street.  

Students who wish to help out in the immediate community should contact Mitra Jalali, director the Community Service Committee of the Wisconsin Union Directorate.  

If UW-Madison students start to make small gestures toward improving the lives of those less fortunate around them, they will be on the right path to making Wisconsin a state they can truly be proud to live in.  

I would like to wish all students a safe, fun winter break, and I will see you next semester on my new day on Wednesdays!