Mayor Dave announces re-election campaign

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz announced his campaign for re-election Thursday before a crowd of shivering supporters in front of City Hall. 

Cieslewicz has been in office since 2003, when he defeated former Mayor Paul Soglin in a close race of left-leaning candidates. This year, he faces Republican Ray Allen in his attempt to cement a second term. 

The mayor stressed his efforts in the last four years to stimulate Madison's economy by working with both conservatives and liberals Thursday. 

""We've tried to find common ground between the left and right wings of the political spectrum, and the result is an economic development plan endorsed by both the Chamber of Commerce and progressive leaders,"" Cieslewicz said. 

According to Cieslewicz Campaign Manager Megan McGrorty, the mayor intends to focus largely on public safety if elected to a second term. He has already created a plan to set aside $100,000 for a ""Downtown Safety Initiative"" and will add several detectives to the police force in 2007. 

Thursday's announcement marked the beginning of a political season that will likely see significant changes in city leadership. Although Cieslewicz is favored to win re-election, several of his liberal allies on the city council do not plan to run on April's ballot. 

Judy Olson, a long-time member of Cieslewicz's Progressive Dane Party, is retiring after her term expires and Austin King, currently the council president, said he might opt for law school on the East Coast instead of returning for another two-year term. 

Ray Allen, Cieslewicz's 55-year-old opponent, is a prominent member of Madison's black community. He owns and publishes the weekly Madison Times and is a champion of the city's business leadership. 

Having announced his candidacy in May, Allen has been particularly critical of Cieslewicz's spending policies in recent months. In a radio advertisement, he cites a ""weakening"" business climate and plans for downtown trolleys as evidence of the mayor's irresponsibility. 

""I'm running for mayor because the misplaced priorities of City Hall are affecting our quality of life,"" Allen said. 

Since early this fall, however, Cieslewicz has intensified his overtures to downtown developers and city business leaders. For example, he has consistently opposed a plan for paid sick leave that is highly unpopular among Madison conservatives and pledged Thursday to resist raising city taxes. 

""In Madison, we can prove that a city can be both progressive and pro-business,"" Cieslewicz said.