Wisconsin high school student kills principal

In the nation's second school shooting in less than a week, a 15-year-old boy fatally shot his principal at a small-town high school in Wisconsin.  

Eric Hainstock was charged with one count of first-degree intentional homicide for killing 49-year-old John Klang with a handgun Friday morning, sending shock waves of grief through the small town of Weston.  

According to witnesses, Hainstock approached the school wielding a shotgun Friday morning before classes. When custodian Dave Thompson confronted the boy about his intentions with the gun, Hainstock pointed the muzzle at him and said he was there to kill somebody.  

Hainstock allegedly was referring to Klang, who had suspended him earlier in the week for taking cigarettes to school.  

Thompson grabbed the barrel of the shotgun and jerked it out of Hainstock's hands but fled to call 911 when he saw the boy fumbling in his pocket for a second weapon.  

Hainstock walked through the school's entrance and shot Klang three times as Klang wrestled with him for the weapon. Mortally wounded, Klang managed to subdue Hainstock and slide the gun down the floor of the hallway.  

Paramedics transported Klang to UW Hospital and Clinics in Madison, where he died seven hours after the shooting.