New high-rise must attract students

Last Wednesday architect Gary Brink unveiled plans for a new condominium complex to replace Casa Bianca, 333 N. Bassett St. and Milio's Sandwiches, 454 W. Johnson St., as well as a four-story house.  

At the meeting, Brink adamantly stated this complex would not be ""student housing"" like neighboring locations The Embassy Apartments, 505 University Ave. and The Aberdeen, 437 W. Gorham St.  

We believe it is irrational to propose housing for ""young people"" or ""young professionals"" in an area with such proximity to campus. Young adults not affiliated with the university will not want to reside in an area with socially robust college students.  

It would be better for Brink to change his marketing strategy and make the proposed condominium complex another housing option for students, as the corner of Bassett St. and University Ave. increasingly becomes more saturated with UW-Madison students. 

At the unveiling many voiced their concern that the high-rise would inhibit the Madison skyline and view of the Capitol. But, as Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, pointed out, the city council has already designated this area as a good area for high-rise complexes in the downtown area.  

The current Madison city ordinance states that no buildings may be built taller than approximately 185 feet within one mile of the Capitol. As long as the new complex follows these guidelines, the complex is a positive development for the downtown area. 

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz has said that building up instead of building out will promote more business and economic potential for the downtown area. Buildings that combat sprawl, whether for Madison residents or UW-Madison students, are beneficial to the downtown community. 

As Madison transitions from a small town to a big city environment, it is important to keep the character of Madison alive. Developments, such as this proposed high-rise, are important for the city's growth and improvement as long as the city does not lose sight of the flavor that makes Madison a great place to live.