Saturday, June 15, 2024

Woman attacked in late-night sexual assault on University Ave.

A 23-year-old Madison woman was sexually assaulted early Monday morning on the 500 block of University Avenue, according to police. 

Police Public Information Officer Mike Hanson issued a statement Tuesday afternoon detailing the assault, one of the most disturbing in recent memory. 

According to Hanson, two men—one white and one black, both in their early 20s—cornered the woman behind a business at approximately 3:30 a.m. and sexually assaulted her. Shortly after the initial attack, two Hispanic men saw the commotion and joined in sexually assaulting the woman. According to Hanson's statement, one of the men is named Tony. 

After fleeing her attackers, the woman used a stranger's cell phone to call police and report the crime. 

Sexual assaults by strangers are not common on and around the UW-Madison campus and the Monday's attack marks the first of its kind in the fall semester. However, several stranger sexual assaults last spring put the campus on alert. 

Hanson was not available for comment Tuesday and police have yet to release further details about the assault. In the past, both police and downtown city officials have urged women to avoid city streets when they are alone late at night.  

Any witnesses of Monday's assault are encouraged to call Crime Stoppers at 266-6014.