U-Square restaurants hit the road

Before its demolition, University Square was home to shops, a movie theater and several restaurants. Though students will never come across University Square again, they can still experience the flavors of its former restaurants, many of which have relocated throughout the Madison area.  

Early planning for the move helped some restaurant owners land equally convenient spots. 

The first to open at a new location was Copper Gable CafAc, 317 N. Bassett St., called Baker's Too Bakery at University Square 

""We did get this started knowing that Baker's Too was going to be closed,"" said Darlene Phillips, co-owner of Copper Gable CafAc. ""For about a year and a half we operated both shops.""  

Copper Gable CafAc first opened Dec. 29, 2004, while Baker's Too was still in business.  

Little by little, the other University Square owners found new homes for their restaurants. 

""We just took it one day at a time,"" said Be Macvilay, owner of Rising Sons Deli, now located at 617 State St. ""We kept looking until we found the right place.""  

While finding the right place was one part of the process, actually moving there had its own difficulties. 

""The move was very hard and we had no help from our landlord,"" said Mohila Natejhi co-owner of Caspian CafAc, 610 University Ave. ""We spent over $100,000 and there was no reason for it."" 

James Lee, owner of Coreana, 1401 University Ave., also underwent difficulties in moving. His new place at first did not meet regulations for the City of Madison, and he had to make changes in order to reopen his restaurant. Lee spent $20,000 for electricity and about $60 to $70,000 on plumbing, moving and purchasing new equipment.  

Another issue was employment, especially during the transitional months. Edward Shinnick, owner of Paisan's, 131 W. Wilson St., had to find ways to keep his employees employed from May to August 2006, when they reopened.  

""A lot of them came up, and they helped paint and varnish and do odd jobs,"" Shinnick said. ""We were able to maintain about two-thirds of them, but we lost quite a few people because we were closed for three months."" 

Lee took an opposite approach, cutting the number of employees at Coreana. 

""When we first opened up here, we reduced employees because I thought we would not have as many customers as before,"" Lee said. ""But after two days I had to call everybody back.""  

Lee said he was able to retain one-third of his regular customers and that sales have gone up approzimately 40 percent, which took him by surprise. 

""I usually lose about 10 to 20 grand in the summer, but this year I didn't lose money,"" he said. ""I actually made money, which is pretty exciting."" 

The other former University Square restaurants have settled in as well. Despite the initial hassle, many have found benefits from changing locations, including more prominent storefronts. 

""It's much better here just because we're [right] on the street and we have a lot of walk-in people,"" Natejhi said. She added that she was also thrilled to retain her regular customers.  

Copper Gable CafAc has not been as fortunate in keeping all of their Baker's Too customers, according to Phillips. Still, they have a positive outlook, as the cafAc is nestled beneath the Aberdeen Apartments and is within a block radius of many other student high rises. The owners are also trying to draw in students by adding a mini market where they can buy items such as milk, bread and dry ingredients. 

The owner of Paisan's, now by the Capitol, said the restaurant has had a slow opening. However, Shinnick said he anticipates their sales to increase. The new Paisan's is not only bigger, but also has a bar and cocktail lounge, he said, which it has never had in its 50-year history. 

While owners said their new locations allow for new opportunities, such as expanding the menus, they said University Square, in all its charm, will still be missed. 

""It was kind of like a little family all incorporated in University Square mall,"" Phillips said. ""They were all our good friends and it's hard not to see them on a daily basis."" 

Separate but still standing, the former University Square restaurants will continue to remain open to old and new customers.  

""We've got wonderful clients coming in here,"" Phillips said. ""We'll build friendships here, too.""