State Street opens after months of construction

The latest phase of State Street's long-term facelift ended Monday in a ceremony marking the end of construction on the 300 block. 

Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz and U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Madison, were on hand to celebrate the conclusion of the third part of a four- year, $17-million project, which was funded with city and federal money.  

""Our engineers came to us about five to six years ago and said, ‘the infrastructure under State Street was crumbling,'"" said Ald. Austin King, District 8. ""The sewer mains and the water mains were in desperate need of replacement ... if we didn't do this, the businesses wouldn't have had running water."" 

The renovation was burdensome for local businesses, but city officials said it was necessary for the overall sustainability of State Street.  

""State Street is the heart of downtown Madison,"" said Cieslewicz. ""The investments we are making will help State Street continue to remain a unique, world-class destination for decades to come."" 

The renovations have modernized State Street, bringing new benches, lights and trashcans. But the construction was a problem for local businesses, that took hits to their profits. 

""Unfortunately for us, the construction was during our peak part of the year,"" Jason Brandes, a manager at Parthenon Gyros, 316 State St. said. ""So, construction knocked our business down a little bit.""  

During construction, a particular problem was that traveling across State Street was an obstacle because the road was closed and people could not cross. 

""Most people were inclined to walk down the block [and leave the 300 block],"" Mike Richards of Ragstock, 329 State St. said. ""They couldn't cross the street if they wanted ... to go somewhere else."" 

The construction caused businesses to temporarily lose profits, but according to Baldwin, will make the street a more pleasing destination for shoppers. 

Baldwin said the project ""not only enhances the appearance and functionality of the street, but also helps create an environment that encourages economic development throughout downtown Madison."" 

""Without it our identity would be cut in half, it is the crown jewel of our downtown,"" said King, whose district includes the portions of State Street closest to the UW-Madison campus. ""It's the place where most of our memories of college are probably formed."" 

The next step in the project will begin in April with construction on the 500 and 600 blocks of State Street.