Go forth and vote

This week's primary elections confirmed the increasing disengagement between youth voters and local government across the city of Madison. Growing apathy among students continues to squelch the voter participation necessary to generate the most beneficial political atmosphere. However, little is being done to reverse this unfortunate trend. 

For many students, choosing not to vote isn't entirely a conscious decision. On Tuesday, it was apparent that most of my fellow students were unaware elections were even taking place. As professors prompted their students to spend time at the polls, I witnessed looks of confusion and indifference across the faces of my classmates.  

It would appear that unless we spend significant time doing independent research or are well informed of local government by default because of our majors, we will remain uninformed about the politics governing our area.  

Students who knew of this week's election distanced themselves from the polls for another reason: inadequate knowledge of the candidates' positions. While we are told that involvement in local elections will affect us more directly, only national campaigns continue to receive the attention that will prepare us to make even the slightest informed decision.  

Opponents' initiatives were not extensively covered by the media until the votes had been tallied. We cannot be expected to entertain the plea for our votes unless we know exactly what it is we are voting for.  

The little exposure students have to local politics would mean voting almost entirely upon the basis of personality. Because of the wealth of negative campaigning, we are forced to base our decisions on the criticisms opponents have directed at each other, rather than choosing the leader who will more appropriately carry out their duties.  

Furthermore, candidates spend more time outlining their past successes than introducing the initiatives that will bring about positive change in the future.  

Perhaps another reason we do not feel compelled to vote is because the agendas of many politicians do not fit the needs of our age range. Campaign leaders admit that candidates often cater their proposals toward the citizens they expect to cast the most votes. In other words, because candidates harbor the mindset that we will not come to the polls, they refuse to waste precious votes by introducing ideas that might capture our interest.  

When faced with the decision to become more actively involved in politics, students feel compelled to choose sides. For those who wish to decline from choosing a political preference, finding sources of unbiased information can be increasingly difficult. 

Instead of defining themselves as ""Republican"" or ""Democrat,""more students are choosing to be apathetic or even agnostic. Because of the seemingly cut-and-dry, two-party system that pervades elections, we are pushed to vote for the party to which we more closely associate, instead of examining the candidates for their individual strengths. 

It must not be concluded that students are intentionally ignoring their freedom to vote, but that we have been neglected as voting members of society. Once we are trusted and recognized for our role in the future of politics, we will become more active participants of the voting scene. Before each election takes place, we must be informed beyond the logistics of where, when and how to involve ourselves in such an opportunity. Above all, we must know why.  

Jessica Sprang is a senior majoring in journalism. Please send responses to opinion@dailycardinal.com.