Neo-Nazis shut down Capitol Square with weekend rally

Standing on the steps of the Capitol, behind several barricades and dozens of police in full body armor, 64 members of the neo-Nazi National Socialist Movement declared victory Saturday. To the approximately 800 protesters in attendance, the results of the Minneapolis-based group's rally were not so clear-cut. Protestors greeted the neo-Nazis with cheers such as, ""Racist, sexist, anti-gay, neo-Nazis, go away"" and signs reading, ""Follow your leader, Kill yourself."" The announced purpose of the rally was to denounce illegal immigration and the U.S. ""open borders policy,"" but the underlying theme was little different from that of every neo-Nazi gathering. Most of the rallying National Socialists wore brown long-sleeved shirts and red swastika armbands reminiscent of Adolf Hitler. For protestors of the rally, who tried to shout down the National Socialists from nearly a block away, Saturday offered a chance to rally the troops. ""We are coming to show with our numbers and with our voices that their kind of hate is not welcomed in Madison,"" said Jesse Zarley of the No Nazis in Madison Coalition. ""We are standing up for the communities they are targeting, and the main message is to drown out their message of hate."" Neo-Nazis were scant among the general crowd, but one supporter of the rally argued with protestors, screaming, ""This is my home too."" Although some protesters opposed the neo-Nazis receiving a permit to rally, most believed it was their First Amendment right and were instead protesting the views of the Socialist Movement. ""Denying them a permit makes them free speech martyrs,"" Zarley said. ""Since they have the free speech to say what they are saying, we have the free speech to say that we don't agree."" The rally wavered between serious and comical and, at one point, a group of men dressed in pink rabbit costumes began protesting. ""We figured that when else can pink bunnies walk around the Capitol and not be the most ridiculous group there,"" said Mike Quieto, who was in full costume. According to the Capitol Police, which staffed more than 300 uniformed officers, the rally had the potential to turn violent, but ended in only five arrests. ""From a police-perspective this event was a tremendous success,"" Capitol Police Chief David Heinle said. ""The event started and ended on time, and we have no reports of personal injury or property damage.""