Mother-daughter team tackles societal taboos of the vagina

When it comes to matters of the vagina, many people tend to get a little uncomfortable. Elizabeth Topp and Dr. Carol Livoti, mother and daughter, and co-authors of the book Vaginas: An Owner's Manual,\ set out to change people's perception of the vagina. 

""The first time you say ‘penis,' it kind of gives you a little, ‘huh!' and then all of sudden it's just a penis, or it's just a vagina or it's just a tampon,"" Livot said Thursday night at Hillel, 611 Langdon St.. 

Livot, a New York gynecologist and an obstetrician to various celebrities, including the women of ""Sex and the City,"" said the only way you can diffuse the discomfort is by talking about it until it becomes second nature. 

Tripp said late-night host Conan O'Brien turned them down because he didn't feel comfortable enough with the word ""vagina.""  

""I found it quite amazing how uninformed people are,"" Livot said. ""I mean we're talking educated, college, post-graduate women who know little about their bodies, their anatomy and how things are supposed to function."" 

Tripp said the book was immediately marginalized because of its title. She said that when most people think of a vagina they think of a penis receptacle, but there's much more to it than that. 

""It's a very sad thing that we cannot express ourselves and demand what we need from the healthcare system, demand what we need from our sexual partners and demand what we need from ourselves,"" Livot said. 

Livot said the book has a lot to offer women and that it touches on some very important everyday matters in a clear and user-friendly way. 

The pair received a complaint at a book signing in Manhattan when a display of the book with the word ""Vaginas"" was put in the window. 

""‘How could you put that pornography in the window? Children walk past here,' the passerby said, and I said, ‘It's not pornography; what if we would have named the book ""Gall Bladders?""'"" Livot explained. 

Livot and Tripp said they hope their book works to inform many women of what they don't know about their own bodies. 

""Ignorance is bliss,"" Livot said, ""It's not a very good place to be.""\