Madison Mallards a hit for city baseball fans

As the school year comes to a close, the Madison Mallards' June 1 opener is fast approaching. And the summer baseball team, which moved to the city six years ago, has fast become a Madison favorite. 

In their short history in Madison, the Mallards have been successful, winning their league title in 2004 and finishing second last year.  

With the team's success, Mallard team members have high expectations for this year.  

Things look good on paper, but we'll have to wait and see how it turns out come June 1 when the season starts,\ said Conor Coloia, assistant general manager for the Mallards. 

The Mallards play in a 7500-person capacity stadium called the Duck Pond, 2920 N. Sherman Ave., on Madison's near North side.  

The team's inexpensive tickets have helped draw fans to the Duck Pond. Last year, the average attendance was more than 5,000 fans per game. Still, the team has preserved a fan-friendly atmosphere. 

""These guys are a year or two shy of minor league baseball,"" said Brian Benford, Ald. District 12, where the Mallards play. ""These guys don't have those major league egos. They try hard every play, they take time to sign autographs."" 

Most tickets cost $6, but the team also has many suites—rooftop seating reminiscent of Wrigley Field—and a five-story structure called the Duck Blind in right field where fans can have unlimited food and drink for $27.  

""Where else can you see highly competitive baseball for $6?"" Benford asked.  

Mallards' front-office workers have tried to make the team appealing to Madison and the surrounding communities and expect fan support to continue to grow.  

""We've tried to make it so we're a good draw for anybody,"" said assistant general manager Coloia, adding that fans can find the games enjoyable ""whether you're a college student or whether you're a senior or whether you're a 5-year-old."" 

Coloia said many of the team's promotions are specifically directed toward college students. For example, each Thursday night is Pabst Blue Ribbon College Night, when the team offers college students two-for-one admissions.  

While the nearest Major League baseball team, the Milwaukee Brewers, is over an hour away, Madison residents only have to travel a few miles to see the Mallards. And although the team does not have Major League talent, it has carved out a niche on the North side for fans in search of laid back, semi-professional baseball. 

""There's more determination and hard work than MLB players who just signed big contracts,"" said UW-Madison junior and baseball enthusiast Antonio Figueroa. ""You don't have all of the distractions like steroids that come with MLB."" 

The Mallards also help out other area baseball teams. Joe Dunlap, a pitcher for the UW-Madison club baseball team, said the Mallards let his team play at the Duck Pond and give them a portion of the ticket proceeds. 

""It's nice to have a pro team in town that is willing to help us out,"" Dunlap said ""It's a great thing to have in town if you don't have a Major League team.""  

single game Mallards tickets go on sale April 29.  

\